Stoichiometry to find the concentration of O2?

In summary, the experiment involved titrating iodine with different reagents to determine the concentration of oxygen in water. The first trial used water at 22 degrees Celsius, while the second trial used water at 0 degrees Celsius. The final concentrations of Mn2+ and O2 were calculated using the stoichiometry of the chemical reaction.
tica86
2 Mn2+ + O2 + 4 OH- -> 2 MnO2 + 2 H2O
***** Use the stoichiometry of the chemical reaction to calculate the concentration (mg/L) of O2(aq) and concentration of O2 (aq) (Molarity).
DI Water (22 degrees C)
Initial Buret Reading: 20.0ml
Final Buret Reading: 28.7 ml
Volume Na2S2O8 to reach the equivalence point: 8.7ml

I would appreciate any help, thanks!

This is what I have done:
1 mol O2 (2mol MnO2/1 mol O2) * (1 mol I2/1 mol MnO2) * (2 mol S2O3^-2/1 mol I2)= 4 mol S2O3^-2

0.00500 Na2S2O3 (0.0087L)= 4.35*10^-5/4mol= 1.0875 * 10^-5

---------------0.00500 M Na2S2O3 standard solution
---------------II. MnO2 (s) + 2I¯ + 4H+---> Mn2+ + I2 (aq) + 2H2O
III. 2S2O32- + I2 (aq) ---> S4O62-+ 2I

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a little bit chaotic, can you explain in more details what the procedure and reactions involved are? Have you used sodium persulfate, or sodium thiosulfate (I guess the latter, unless it was a back titration)?

Borek said:
It is a little bit chaotic, can you explain in more details what the procedure and reactions involved are? Have you used sodium persulfate, or sodium thiosulfate (I guess the latter, unless it was a back titration)?

It's a biological oxygen demand experiment-winkler titration. We used sodium persulfate.

We did two trials:
FOR TRIAL 1:
DI WATER (22 C)
VOLUME Na2S2O8 TO REACH EQUIVALENCE PT = 8.7ml
Find the concentration of O2 (aq) (mg/L)
Find the concentration of O2(aq) (Molarity)

TRIAL 2:
DI WATER (0 C)
VOLUME Na2S2O8 TO REACH EQUIVALENCE PT = 2.55ml
Find the concentration of O2 (aq) (mg/L)
Find the concentration of O2(aq) (Molarity)

Strange, as far as I was able to check Winkler method calls for thiosulfate to titrate iodine. One starts with Mn2+, it gets oxidized by the dissolved oxygen producing brown precipitate (containing Mn3+ and/or Mn4+), this precipitate after adding sulfuric acid oxidizes iodides to iodine, iodine is titrated with thiosulfate. No place for persulfate.

Can you write equations of reactions that take place during the experiment?

¯

I would first calculate the number of moles of Na2S2O3 used in the reaction by using the volume and concentration of the standard solution. This would give me 4.35*10^-5 moles of Na2S2O3.

Next, I would use the stoichiometry of the chemical reaction to determine the number of moles of O2 present in the reaction. From the balanced equation, we can see that for every 1 mole of O2, 2 moles of MnO2 are produced. Therefore, the number of moles of O2 would be half of the number of moles of MnO2, which is 2.175*10^-5 moles.

To convert this to concentration in mg/L, we need to know the volume of the reaction. From the given initial and final buret readings, we can calculate the volume of the reaction to be 8.7 mL.

Using the formula concentration = moles/volume, we can calculate the concentration of O2 to be 2.5*10^-3 mg/L or 2.5*10^-6 g/L.

To convert this to molarity, we need to know the molar mass of O2, which is 32 g/mol. Using the formula molarity = moles/volume, we can calculate the molarity of O2 to be 6.79*10^-7 M.

In conclusion, the concentration of O2 in the given reaction is 2.5*10^-3 mg/L or 6.79*10^-7 M.

1. How do I calculate the concentration of O2 using stoichiometry?

In order to calculate the concentration of O2, you will need to know the molar mass of O2, the volume of the sample, and the number of moles of O2 present. Using the equation C= n/V, where C is the concentration, n is the number of moles, and V is the volume, you can solve for the concentration of O2.

2. What units should I use for the concentration of O2?

The concentration of O2 is typically expressed in units of moles per liter (mol/L) or molarity (M).

3. Can I use any gas law to calculate the concentration of O2?

No, you cannot use any gas law to calculate the concentration of O2. The ideal gas law, PV=nRT, can only be used for gases that behave ideally. O2 is a diatomic gas and does not behave ideally at all temperatures and pressures. You will need to use the correct stoichiometric equation for O2 to calculate its concentration.

4. How does temperature affect the concentration of O2?

Temperature can affect the concentration of O2 by changing its volume and pressure. As temperature increases, the volume of O2 will increase and its concentration will decrease. However, at constant temperature and pressure, the concentration of O2 will remain constant.

5. Can I use stoichiometry to calculate the concentration of O2 in a mixture of gases?

Yes, you can use stoichiometry to calculate the concentration of O2 in a mixture of gases. You will need to know the total volume of the mixture, the partial pressure of O2, and the mole fraction of O2 in the mixture. From there, you can use the ideal gas law or other appropriate stoichiometric equation to calculate the concentration of O2.