1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strength/Weakness of Each Method to Collect Earth data

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Name a strength and weakness of each technique.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The two techniques that I came up with are:

Magnetic Line of Force in rocks to analyze land-based paleomagnetic data.
    Strength: Well, it's easy to collect. [need help here]
    Weakness: Data collected by this method results in a loss of data as we do not acquire east/west data but only north/west data.

Geomagnetism --> To measure magnetic anomalies of the sea-floor. This was marine based data.
    Strength: We get exact results as the information is hard-coded into the seafloor.
    Weakness: Don't have a good idea yet. I initially said that the data was difficult to collect, but that isn't the answer we were looking for. [help here?]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is "Earth data"?

4. Oct 27, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

:P I didn't have room in the title to properly demonstrate what I needed. But by the title, I mean, We are looking at each method for strengths/weaknesses to collect data sets for movement of the india plate.

5. Nov 6, 2015 #4
    Regarding a weakness of paleomagnetism think in terms of plate tectonics and how that affects the oceanic crust.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted