Strengthening CP aluminium, mild steel and HCP titanium

  • Thread starter Thread starter tony_engin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Strength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
tony_engin
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Using furnace and a rolling mill, how to strengthen these?
(i)Commercially pure aluminium
(ii) Fe-0.2%C (mild steel)
(iii)Commercially pure Titanium (HCP metal; 2 methods can be used)

How to strengthen these?
For (i), is that just roll it and then normalise it?
For(ii), forming martensite and then temper it or should be forming lower banite directly?
For(iii), again rolling? unlikely...

I am really nore sure about these...could anyone kindly help?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
1) Add alloying elements or strain harden.
2) Heat to autenitic range and quench to martensite.
3) Since alpha alloys are non heat treatable, some form of cold or hot working (not quite sure on that one)
 
(iii)I've heard of surface-hardening of Ti and Ti-alloys by shot peening. I imagine rolling will work too but I do believe Ti does not work harden as much as most steels.