Structure of CuSO4.5H2O, ZnSO4.7H2O, and FeSO4.7H2O

  • Thread starter Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
chaoseverlasting
Messages
1,051
Reaction score
3
I need to find the structure of[tex]CuSO_4.5H_2O[/tex], [tex]ZnSO_4.7H_2O[/tex] and [tex]FeSO_4.7H_2O[/tex].

Ive looked at J.D. Lee for them but can't seem to find them, maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I can't find something worthwhile on the net either. All I seem to hit are actual pictures of the salts/solutions but not the actual structure. Please help. If you can point out a link or something, Id be really greatful.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking about crystal structure (face centered cubic)?

If so, try searching for X-ray crystal structure of...
 
no... that not what I am looking for... I am looking for the molecular structure...
 
Perhaps you are asking about the Lewis Structure?

The molecular structure in the crystal form will be presented as the X-Ray crystal structure. The molecular structure for ionic compounds is fairly meaningless in solution. The ions dissociate and are usually surrounded by solvent molecules. That fraction that is present in solution in undissociated form is actually continuously forming ions; said ions are continuously reforming undissociated species.

Different solvents or ligands may have different crystal fields and solvent shells which result in different arrangements of ligands/solvent around ions. This phenomenon gives rise to ionic species that have different spectral properties in differing solvents or with different ligands. Search on Debye Huckel Theory, Crystal Field Theory and 10DQ.
 
Yeah, I think its the Lewis structure I am looking for. Like diborane has the sturcture with the banana bonds (3c-2e bonds).
 
Nobody knows the molecular structure? I am not talking about the structure in solution... the anhydrous form...
 
Review the rules for determining Lewis structures.

If you are having difficulty, google "lewis dot structures". There are useful resources that will assist you.