Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on what appears to be simple ODE

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    I am completely stuck on where to go with the following ODE:

(D^4 + 1)y = 0 where D=d/dx

I know that trying y=e^(rt) is the obvious solution, however, when you solve this you get r^2 = +-i. At this point I am unsure of what to do becuase if I take the square root of "i" I am unsure of how I will represent it in a general solution. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An equation like r^4+1=0 means that there are 4 solutions. Instead of putting r^2=+/-i, you can look at r^2=e^(pi/2)*i or e^(3pi/2)*i. Taking the square root, you simply get r=+/-e^(pi/4)*i or +/-e^(3pi/4)*i.

The trick is to put it in the phase explicitly, so that you have an answer.

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

(D^4 + 1)=(D^2+sqrt(2)D+1)(D^2-sqrt(2)D+1)
    =(D^2+i)(D^2-i)=(D-√ i)(D+√ i)(D-√- i)(D+√- i)
    So write a solution in terms of complex exponentials or products of exponentials and trigonometric functions like (e^r x)cos(a x) according to preference.

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4
    [tex]\frac{{\mbox{d}}^{4}y}{{\mbox{d}}^{4}x}+y=0[/tex]

[tex]y={e}^{rx}[/tex]

[tex]{r}^{4}+1=0[/tex]

[tex]{r}^{2}=\pm i [/tex]

[tex] r=\pm\frac{1\pm i}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]y={C}_{1}\exp \left(\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}\right)+{C}_{2}\exp \left(\frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}}\right)+{C}_{3}\exp \left(-\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}\right)+{C}_{4}\exp \left(\frac{i-1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)[/tex]

We can solve for the specific solution for y if and only if we know y(0), y'(0), y''(0), y'''(0) and y''''(0)

6. Nov 10, 2011 #5
    thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate the help!

7. Nov 12, 2011 #6
    Just realised I made a LaTeX error. Should be

[tex]y={C}_{1}\exp \left(\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)+{C}_{2}\exp \left(\frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)+{C}_{3}\exp \left(-\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)+{C}_{4}\exp \left(\frac{i-1}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)[/tex]

and you may want to use euler's formula to put in some trigonometric functions there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook