Subdety": Rare Word Encounter in Book Reading

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of unusual words in a book being read by one of the participants. The word "subdeties" is brought up and the group discusses its meaning and origin, with some suggesting it may be a typo or the author making up words. Other words such as "orchidectomy" and "vade mecum" are also discussed. The group also speculates that the book may have been scanned and the unusual words could be a result of OCR errors. The conversation also touches on the topic of conlanging and its prevalence in fantasy and science fiction writing.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Encountered this word in the book I'm reading.

"He was mindful of the subdeties of rank."

Google finds examples of the word being used, yet no dictionary seems to list it, or its presumed root subdety.I'm only 15% into this book and have already encountered almost a half dozen words I've never heard of.

orchidectomy
vade mecum

Unking -
this one is a word, not makes no sense in the context it is used:

"He unhooked the body brace and began Unking it to Mac's armour."

Not only it is oddly capitalized, but it's the wrong kind of verb. It would be unkinging.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the writer doesn't know how to spell "subtlety"?

Likes lisab
Danger said:
Perhaps the writer doesn't know how to spell "subtlety"?
That would make perfect sense in context, since the rest of the sentence is "deferential but not toadying".

But impossible to believe from a Hugo Award winning Canadian author.

subdeties - It's not in any dictionary I can find, either a typo or the author is making words up. I agree with it being subtleties.

An Orchiectomy is "
  1. surgical removal of one or both testicles. But no such word as orchidectomy, which maybe is the removal of orchids. oo) :p
vade mecum is the only one that comes up
  1. a handbook or guide that is kept constantly at hand for consultation.
What on Earth are you reading?

I'm alwas finding typos and grammatical errors in books, amazing how these errors are not caught.

I hate writers that use archaic and pretentious words. Especially if they can't get them right.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that I've never heard of him, but his credentials are certainly impressive. These days, though, it could have been a glitch in an auto-correct word processor.

Evo said:
It's not in any dictionary I can find, either a typo or the author is making words up.
Except there are several online instances of it, that seem to use it in a similar context.

Evo said:
But no such word as orchidectomy,
I am finding that spelling variant in some dictionaries, including medical dictionaries.

In context, it is a helpful procedure when living in a remote outpost.

Evo said:
vade mecum - a handbook or guide that is kept constantly at hand for consultation.
Literally means "go with me"

In context, it is equipment that comes with the character, tailored to her.

Evo said:
What on Earth are you reading?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0812575741/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Discovery of a planet light years away with highly lethal biosphere. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go out on a limb here, but the capital U in Unking suggests that Unk might be a proper name. Perhaps there was once some guy named Unk that had the notable habit improvising armor.

An example of the capitalization of proper name roots: "Burmese and/or Polynesian immigrants eventually Americanized the the dish, thus inventing crab rangoon."

I don't know if that logic applies to Unking though. It's just a guess.

Last edited:
Maybe he meant "subdeity" -- a lesser god.

Or "subduties" -- the tasks a submariner is assigned to do on a submarine.

Or "scubyties" -- bow-ties that Scooby Doo wears.

Likes Danger and collinsmark
I just realized I've seen this kind of thing before.

Unking looks a lot like linking - to OCR software. I'll bet this book has been scanned from a hard copy.

Not sure if subdeties looks like subtleties, but still...

DaveC426913 said:

Unking looks a lot like linking - to OCR software. I'll bet this book has been scanned from a hard copy.

Maybe: http://101books.net/2014/05/14/the-most-unfortunate-of-typos/

Likes *now*, Borg, Danger and 3 others
DaveC426913 said:

I agree that both of these case look like OCR substitutions. Another frequently seen corruption occurs with words like "burn".

OK, now I see it subtleties and subdeties are identical if the OCR picked up tl as a d .

This makes further sense if you presume that whatever font they were using has rounded ascenders, such as l and t.
li looks like U; tl looks like d.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
I have exactly the same problem reading PF. If I wear my reading glasses, I have to almost have my nose against the screen. That's very uncomfortable and probably not good for me. Sometimes I have to give up and magnify the image.

DaveC426913 said:
OK, now I see it subtleties and subdeties are identical if the OCR picked up tl as a d .

This makes further sense if you presume that whatever font they were using has rounded ascenders, such as l and t.
Looks plausible. Though it's sloppy editing to run something through an OCR and then not run it through a simple spellchecker, IMO.

nsaspook said:
Maybe: http://101books.net/2014/05/14/the-most-unfortunate-of-typos/
I learn the damnedest things on this forum. :)

Is the author a conlanger at all? If those words repeat then it is possible that is what Wilson is doing. As an alternate hypothesis, anyway. Many writers from Tolkien to Ursula K LeGuin made up languages. I think Tolkien leads the pack numerically speaking.

Apparently, this is fairly common in Fantasy and SF writing. Most of the list of authors who pursued syntethetic languages were in F & SF genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language_inventors

Borg said:
I learn the damnedest things on this forum. :)
Same here, but I find so much of it has little affect on my every day life :) however I seem to be able to send people into a deeper state of boredom, at a much quicker pace ?:):D

Likes Danger
jim mcnamara said:
Is the author a conlanger at all?
It seems not.Found another word, which he uses many times: kacho. It seems to be analogous to 'bureaucratic manager'.

Literally: "He's a manager, a kacho. He'd be happy if nothing ever changed."

Could some of it just be slang from another language, like Yiddish or Afrikaans or something?

DaveC426913 said:
kacho
The only meaning I could find that makes sense in the context is that for "a dog" in Papiamento - a Carribean creole language.

It must be royal pain to read a poorly scanned book that plays with language. Imagine reading A Clockwork Orange or any of Lem's books and stopping every five minutes to figure out whether the author is being clever or the OCR is being dumb.

DaveC426913 said:
Found another word, which he uses many times: kacho. It seems to be analogous to 'bureaucratic manager'.

From a bit of googling, looks like "kacho" is a Japanese title for a manager who is "section chief".

Edit: From more googling, it seems to be also an acceptable Japanese term to address any manager, boss or supervisor.

Likes RonL and Bandersnatch
DaveC426913 said:
It seems not.Found another word, which he uses many times: kacho. It seems to be analogous to 'bureaucratic manager'.

Could be another scanning error -- it might actually be "honcho".

1. What does the word "Subdety" mean?

Subdety is not a known word in the English language. It may be a misspelling or a made-up word used in a book or text. If you encounter this word while reading, it is possible that it has a specific meaning within the context of the book, but it is not a commonly used or recognized term.

2. Is "Subdety" a scientific term?

No, "Subdety" is not a scientific term. It is not found in any scientific glossaries or dictionaries, and there is no known scientific concept or phenomenon associated with this word.

3. What language does "Subdety" come from?

It is unclear what language "Subdety" may come from, as it is not a known word in any language. It is possible that it is a made-up word or a misspelling of a word from a specific language.

4. Can you provide a definition for "Subdety"?

As "Subdety" is not a recognized word, it does not have a specific definition. It is possible that it has a unique meaning within the context of a book or text, but it is not a commonly used or accepted term.

5. How do you pronounce "Subdety"?

As "Subdety" is not a known word, there is no standard pronunciation. It is possible that it may be pronounced differently by different individuals or authors, depending on their intended use of the word.