Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ) 2017

1. Jul 1, 2017 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

It's that time again! Summer Games Done Quick is starting tomorrow!
    What is SGDQ you ask? I'll let wiki do the talking:

Games Done Quick is a semiannual video game speedrun charity marathon held in the United States, originally organized by the Speed Demos Archive and Speedruns Live communities. Since 2015, it has been handled by Games Done Quick, LLC.Held since 2010, the events have raised money for several charities; the most common two being the Prevent Cancer Foundation and Doctors Without Borders. The events are broadcast live on Twitch. Viewers are encouraged to donate for incentives during the stream such as naming characters in a run, having the runners attempt more difficult challenges, or winning prizes.Over $10 million has been raised across sixteen marathons.

The schedule is located here: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

So if you like video games and speedrunning, or if you've never seen a video game speedrun before, be sure to check it out! It runs for an entire week, so you have no excuse for not tuning in!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Just a reminder, SGDQ 2017 is currently on it's 2nd day and has already raised over $200,000. And because I have the mental faculties of an elderly canine, I forgot to include the link to watch the marathon: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

4. Jul 4, 2017 #3
    I really enjoy SGDQ! Hoping to catch some coverage after this crazy 4th weekend ends!

5. Jul 5, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Update: The event has raised over $500,000 so far!

The Megaman X block is coming up soon, where they'll be running X1, X2, X3, and X6, and then The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is after that.

6. Jul 6, 2017 #5
    Chrono Trigger on right now. What a classic!

Tetris is later tonight and that is always impressive!

7. Jul 8, 2017 #6

1oldman2

Gold Member

What! still no D3? that games made for speedrunning,

8. Jul 8, 2017 #7

Drakkith

There are many games which are not represented. I was amazed they devoted 8 hours to the final fantasy 7 run!

9. Jul 8, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Several things are account-bound, you cannot properly start with a new character unless you buy the game for the run. You could run through the game with an equipped character, but I'm not sure how interesting that is, and the time would depend a lot on how good the equipment is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted