Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sunglasses, should eyebrows be showing?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Doesn't matter

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Mar 12, 2014 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I need new sunglasses, the one I like is lost in some drawer and it is very old anyway. So I am considering something like this:

http://www.celebritysunglassblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ema-watson-ray-ban-wayfarer-300x295.jpg [Broken]
    I think Emma Watson's face shape is similar to mine.

But how important are the eyebrows showing, there is a contradiction here. According to experts at Ophra, it is important that glasses are positioned below the eyebrows, but then for sunglasses they go against their advice! Compare the "THE "BEFORE PAIR"" with "THE RIGHT SUNGLASSES", that can't be right?
    http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/How-to-Find-the-Right-Pair-of-Glasses-for-Your-Face-Shape/5 [Broken]

Surely I'll stay away from glasses like this
    http://dresslikeemma.org/guides/acting/characters/onset/images/0409blingring/0409set-db-sunglasses.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2
    For sunglasses I'd say no brow for girls. I think Emma's sunglasses are nice and agree the second one is too big.

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Brown Blues Brothers' sunglasses? I guess I'm in style again!? Seems to happen to me every 10 years or so.

Probably not the style advice you want, but if the rims are thick and the top is below or at the eyebrow, then the rim will obstruct your view.

5. Mar 12, 2014 #4

Evo

The last time I heard advice was that the glasses should be on the same level as the eyebrows, the reason being you would appear to have two sets of eyebrows otherwise. Too big and you look like a bug eyed insect.

I like the first set of sunglasses.

6. Mar 12, 2014 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could be for these sunglasses:

castar%20glasses.JPG

image compliments of http://www.engineering.com/.

7. Mar 12, 2014 #6
    There's no rule. It depends on the specific face and specific sunglasses.

8. Mar 12, 2014 #7

Borek

Emma looks OK in any sunglasses if you ask me.

9. Mar 12, 2014 #8
    Everybody has their own preference. Wear them how you like 'em. I prefer those heavy elliptical shapes (narrow) - mission impossible 2 style.

10. Mar 12, 2014 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never been a fan of the big round ones. Even when what's-her-name made them popular, I thought, Oh she must have found those at the bottom of her grandma's purse!

Ah...Hilton. Paris Hilton.

But I agree with Evo about the double-line effect. So I say, the frame should be at or above the brow, not below it.

11. Mar 12, 2014 #10

drizzle

Gold Member

http://www.otticanet.com/img/imgocchiali/154/img_art_TH_1000_S_807_JJ.jpg [Broken]

This is the one I have. Even though I had others but this is just the one. It's been with me for 3 years now. I tried to find a similar or a better substitute since it's almost broken/scratched/etc, but nothing worked... I'll order another one online. :biggrin:

12. Mar 13, 2014 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks! Different opinions than I expected, so I guess I changed my opinion to that they should be overlapping with / covering the brow.

I went to the shop and bought the following Ray Ban model:
    http://www.sofiescloset.dk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/P1280892-copy-1024x768.jpg [Broken]

It's a feminine model, I opted out of the Blues Brothers model: I noticed when strolling through the city that all the hipsters are wearing them (including you Russ :wink:). It has a rubberized front in tortoise pattern, I love it. Ready for summer! :biggrin:

13. Mar 13, 2014 #12

Evo

I love those Monique!

I just got a pair of cheap prescription glasses. They're made for small faces and are so comfortable and they're polarized.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67591&d=1394736740.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Mar 13, 2014 #13

drizzle

Gold Member

Nice Evo, what's the brand?
    Edit: nvm.

15. Mar 13, 2014 #14

Evo

Cheap Italian sunglasses. I paid $400 for my last frames and Evo Child stepped on them and broke them 2nd week I had them.

16. Mar 13, 2014 #15

DataGG

Gold Member

You're too old!! Leave her for us, younger people!

17. Mar 13, 2014 #16

Borek

You know I can ban you in no time?

18. Mar 13, 2014 #17

Dembadon

Gold Member

Instead of considering how the glasses look on others, why not go into some shops and try out some different styles? Then you can not only see how they look, but also know how each style feels. It might be the "look" you want is very uncomfortable on your face.

19. Mar 14, 2014 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks!

That's what I did with my previous frames, now when I see them the only thought that comes to mind is "what was I thinking". I asked the opinion of the store clerk and after fitting several pairs he came with the model that I finally bought :smile:

20. Mar 14, 2014 #19

DataGG

Gold Member

You probably could have brought that home without paying, if you know what I mean..

21. Mar 14, 2014 #20

Dembadon

Gold Member

:redface: I didn't catch that you'd already purchased a pair by the time I'd made my post.

I'm glad you went and found a pair you like! They look great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook