Surface of protein channel in membranes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Joppy
MHB
Messages
282
Reaction score
22
Do we know roughly what the surface of a protein channel looks like? In most of the diagrams they are depicted as a sort of cylindrical tube with a smooth surface, but I'm curious if there are some more detailed documentations somewhere? For example I know they aren't rigid objects and may be subjected to a sort of 'bending', but I can't find any info on the surface structure.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Joppy said:
Do we know roughly what the surface of a protein channel looks like? In most of the diagrams they are depicted as a sort of cylindrical tube with a smooth surface, but I'm curious if there are some more detailed documentations somewhere? For example I know they aren't rigid objects and may be subjected to a sort of 'bending', but I can't find any info on the surface structure.

Hey Joppy!

Just my 2 cents.

I think they are just large molecules with no particular surface other then some fuzzly-wuzzly feebly-weebly shape.
We would just picture them as cylindrical tubes with some artificial surface details to explain what they do based on what we've observed them to do.
 
I like Serena said:
Hey Joppy!

Just my 2 cents.

I think they are just large molecules with no particular surface other then some fuzzly-wuzzly feebly-weebly shape.
We would just picture them as cylindrical tubes with some artificial surface details to explain what they do based on what we've observed them to do.

Mmmm. Fuzzly-wuzzly feebly-weebly shape it is then! :) Thanks.