Terry Pratchett, Discworld author dies

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the British author Sir Terry Pratchett has died at the age of 66 after a battle with Alzheimer's disease. He is best known for his Discworld books and was a major influence on the Dr Who series.
Physics news on Phys.org
Too young indeed. Without him, the world is a poorer and less flat place.

My parts of the internet are sad :sad:

Ibix said:
Too young indeed. Without him, the world is a poorer and less flat place.
I don't know who he is, never watched his shows.
:oldbiggrin:But you can't always say so because if we hadn't had Terry, we might have Perry, Berry or Kerry etc. They might be less fortunate but the calculated sum of joys they offer might not be worse.
Do people get taxed on once they die ?
BTW, Rest In Peace Terry!

Silicon Waffle said:
I don't know who he is, never watched his shows.
:oldbiggrin:But you can't always say so because if we hadn't had Terry, we might have Perry, Berry or Kerry etc. They might be less fortunate but the calculated sum of joys they offer might not be worse.
Do people get taxed on once they die ?
BTW, Rest In Peace Terry!
He was a famous writer of fantasy.

Likes Silicon Waffle
As Rihanna Pratchet said, quoting: “AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER”.

And zillions people on the world perfectly understand what it is about. Gives me shivers.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11046673_10152683727251606_3235168745150639328_n.jpg?oh=c8364b85d26289b1b7042334e058ba39&oe=55B76B2E&__gda__=1435123093_ec49f70a1da93f661c6608580fafe754

Likes Borek and Ibix
I had a multiple email conversation with someone, several years ago, where I used to work. Somewhere near the the end of conversation, she claimed that I wrote in the style of a Mr. Terry Pratchett. Since I had never heard of him, I purchased one of his books. Unfortunately, I never read the book. I'm guessing now, that it was a great compliment.

(googles house)

Ah ha!

Receipt in book:
June 6, 2008, 7:27 pm.
"Going Postal"
$7.99
Thank you for shopping at Powell's City of Books!​

You're welcome.

hmmm...

The back cover of 'Going Postal' said:
Suddenly, condemned arch-swindler Moist von Lipwig found himself with a noose around his neck and dropping through a trapdoor into . . . a government job?

By all rights, Moist should be meeting his maker rather than being offered a position as Postmaster by Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork. Getting the moribund Postal Service up and running again, however, may prove an impossible task, what with literally mountains of decades-old undelivered mail clogging every nook and cranny of the broken-down post office. Worse still, Moist could swear the mail is talking to him. Worst of all, it means taking on the gargantuan, greedy Grand Trunk clacks communication monopoly and its bloodthirsty piratical headman. But if the bold and undoable are what's called for, Moist's the man for the job—to move the mail, continue breathing, get the girl, and specially deliver that invaluable commodity that every being, human or otherwise requires: hope.

Well then. There's a quandary.
One of my friends once said, that I should write a book.
So, should I, or should I not, read Mr. Pratchett's book?
If I do, people might accuse me of "stealing" his style.
If I don't, I'll probably be missing some insightful tricks into how to actually write a book.

hmmm...

I think I'll read his book.

Likes Silicon Waffle
OmCheeto said:
I had a multiple email conversation with someone, several years ago, where I used to work. Somewhere near the the end of conversation, she claimed that I wrote in the style of a Mr. Terry Pratchett. Since I had never heard of him, I purchased one of his books. Unfortunately, I never read the book. I'm guessing now, that it was a great compliment.

(googles house)
:nb) that's a good explanation. lol
Well then. There's a quandary.
One of my friends once said, that I should write a book.
So, should I, or should I not, read Mr. Pratchett's book?
If I do, people might accuse me of "stealing" his style.
If I don't, I'll probably be missing some insightful tricks into how to actually write a book.

hmmm...

I think I'll read his book.
I partially see what you're thinking now, then please don't change the account. I have been around with sci and tech for years, I am not going to be a farmer. :)

i watched the Discworld TV series for about 10 minutes then gave it up. to me it's very boring.

Terry Pratchett wrote some interesting stuff for (or was used by) the Dr Who Series which is truly mysterious.....
How on all the Earth's it ever got going and is still being played I do not understand.
Even more mysterious is that I - a fully grown adult - am still watching the endlessly repeating shows in far off Oz...

What did Terry Pratchett die of?

Terry Pratchett passed away at the age of 66 after a long battle with a rare form of early-onset Alzheimer's disease.

What was Terry Pratchett's most famous work?

Terry Pratchett was best known for his Discworld series, a collection of over 40 fantasy novels set in a satirical and humorous world.

How many books did Terry Pratchett write?

Terry Pratchett wrote over 70 books in his career, including the Discworld series and several standalone novels.

What awards did Terry Pratchett win?

Terry Pratchett was the recipient of numerous awards, including the Carnegie Medal, the Locus Award, and multiple Hugo Awards for his contributions to science fiction and fantasy literature.

What was Terry Pratchett's impact on the literary world?

Terry Pratchett's work has had a significant impact on the fantasy genre, with his unique blend of humor, social commentary, and imaginative storytelling. He has also inspired countless readers and writers with his wit and wisdom.