Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

That old game I just can't remember the name of!

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    Hello there,

I believe there must be some avid gamers around these parts, so perhaps someone can help me remember this jewel I've been searching for.

The game is an RPG with top-down 3D view like Baldurs Gate.

I would believe it is from the 1995 - early 2000s era (my guess).

In the game you play this guy who is traveling to his uncle (perhaps?) and finds him dead (as I remember). I can't remember the plot of the game, but I do remember that you become a mage. And you get some sort of "Mage Nexus" or "Base" that you can visit. One thing I DO remember however is, that there is a battle at some point (maybe near the end?), where there is actually a lot of NPC's fighting along side you. Very epic!

In my mind the game was called something with "Hex" but after countless futile hours I have given up on that. However I am still convinced there was something with an X.

Is this tickling anyone's mind? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

My kids used to play Hexen, a first person RPG. That what you are looking for?

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3
    Nah, it was a top-down view. But thanks anyway! :)

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4

trollcast

Gold Member

Try using this video game database to find it to find the game: http://www.mobygames.com/

If you know the platform and year there shouldn't be too many to sort through

6. Mar 25, 2013 #5

Hepth

Gold Member

7. Mar 25, 2013 #6

Cthugha

Science Advisor

I do not have any idea about the plot of these games anymore, but the only rpgs/action-rpgs from that time I remember having an 'x' in the title are Nox and Hexplore.

8. Mar 25, 2013 #7
    Actually I think I have found it. To my astonishment, the game is a full 3D game and there's no x in the name :D

It's Soulbringer.

My memory failed me! :)

9. Mar 25, 2013 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Well now I have to play Baldur's gate again. It's been so long.

10. Mar 25, 2013 #9
    Oh the dread of finding an old game and having to play it again ^^

11. Mar 25, 2013 #10

Borek

Guess what, I have Settlers 2 installed... and they run in DOSBox under W7 64b.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. Mar 25, 2013 #11
  13. Mar 25, 2013 #12

Borek

And you think where did I got Settlers from? :biggrin:

14. Mar 26, 2013 #13
    I've bought several games from GOG, it really makes me relive my childhood days ^_^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook