Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The 405 fwy in Los Angeles will be closed for construction work. For

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 405 fwy in Los Angeles will be closed for construction work. For anyone who has to drive in the area, what a nightmare this will be! Last night on the Tonight Show, Jay Leno actually played a video of alternate routes.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjwt2x_the-tonight-show-with-jay-leno-alternate-405-routes_news [Broken]

Back when the Olympics were held in LA, the freeways were predicted to be a nightmare, but in fact they were the best I've ever seen them. It was all so well planned that the load on the road systems was actually reduced. However, that was a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Carmageddon

Yeah, I'm curious to see what will actually happen. I have to fly out of Burbank on the 17th, driving to the airport from Hollywood. So theoretically, I shouldn't be getting anywhere near the usual 405 traffic. But it depends how far out of the way people end up having to drive in order to get through the mountains. According to some of the articles I've seen, the Cahuenga Pass (the road that runs between Hollywood and Burbank) is one of the suggested alternate routes...but I would expect 405 traffic to use the passes that are further west before they come here.

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you look at Leno's video. Well worth your time, I would think.

I would expect that the gridlock will extend to roundabout Tokyo.

5. Jul 14, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

And the gridlock is now exteding to that video -- won't serve up. Probably overloaded :redface:

6. Jul 18, 2011 #5

rhody

Gold Member

http://www.vpr.net/npr/138462424/"

You can't make this stuff up folks, seriously...
    Only in L.A.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  7. Jul 18, 2011 #6

I was supposed to fly into LA from Newark next week, but I cancelled my flight when I found out that you could bicycle there faster.

8. Jul 18, 2011 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was the Olympics all over again - Carmageddon didn't materialize.

The Los Angeles planners and drivers deserve big kudos for this one. It could have been a nightmare. There was even a soccer game at the Colosseum with about 100K in attendance but it didn't cause any problems.

9. Jul 18, 2011 #8

rhody

Gold Member

http://online.wsj.com/video/time-la...D90-061E272061D2.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_mpvidcar_1". Go, baby, go...

Rhody... you have to put with with commercial first... eh... :grumpy:

P.S. see what folks can do when they decide to achieve a goal, and put aside all of the B.S. !!
    Reminds me of a number of years back when an access causeway in Florida (Disney main highway) was weakened by a tanker truck fire. They fixed that in less than
    3 to 5 days, people can do amazing things when needed and when they put their minds to it. I tried finding links and couldn't it must have been more than 10 years
    ago, but I remember it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  10. Jul 18, 2011 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

100k attended a soccer game in the US? That's harder to believe than Carmageddon not materializing!

11. Jul 18, 2011 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hardly. People simply took the alternate routes.

The real kudos goes to the Parks Department for helping people navigate the LA River.

12. Jul 18, 2011 #11

Only in LA haha! There are plenty of soccer players/fans here, sadly its nothing compared to Football... :(

13. Jul 18, 2011 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Didn't you hear what happened when a Mexican soccer team played a US team at the Colloseum? The crowd was cheering for Mexico! It's a matter of demographics. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook