1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Math "The art of problem solving" textbook series

1. Jul 8, 2016 #1
    • I am a 12th grade student. I am new to this series and i know that these are great books. i am going to buy 3 books.
    • the basics , introduction to algebra, introduction to geometry
    • is it necessary to buy solution manual.
    • is it ok to buy these three books for the beginners
    • what about concept content of these books.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2016 #2

MathWA

Gold Member

I done these books before. I recommend going in order because these books get harder and harder. I think what you have is in order.
    It is necessary to buy the solution manual. The concept of these books is teaching the basics then going to the competition level like MathCounts or AMC.

4. Jul 12, 2016 #3
    What about delivery in india , I am planning to order aops books along with solution manual from aops site , is it possible to order it from india.

5. Jul 12, 2016 #4

MathWA

Gold Member

I think it is possible.

6. Jul 12, 2016 #5
    Woooohoooo , thanks

7. Jul 12, 2016 #6

MathWA

Gold Member

Your welcome.

8. Jul 13, 2016 #7
    I think it would be more beneficial to get rigorous books on the subjects you want to learn. Ie, for geometry start with Moise, then Planemetry and Stereometry, both of these books are by Kisselev.

For Trig. Learn it from a textbook aimed at college students supplemented with Gelfand. Then move onto Loney.

9. Jul 13, 2016 #8
    i have finished sl loney, euclids elements , i need a advance knowledge of algebra , therefore i was thinking of aops algebra textbook both introduction and intermediate

10. Jul 13, 2016 #9
    Do you mean finished by: doing every problem, understanding the big picture, and being able to prove on your own every theorem without looking?

11. Jul 13, 2016 #10
    No solution manuals, ever.

12. Jul 13, 2016 #11
    yes , i have finished sl loney 3 times and problem also, i am reading euclids element again

13. Jul 13, 2016 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you really interested in competitions? If you are, then the aops books are great. If you're not, then there are many better books that you can go through.

14. Jul 13, 2016 #13
    I want to make my algebra stronger sorry strongest, so I want any book from basic too great advance and I think aops algebra will be good

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted