Car A vs. Car B: Finding the Better Buy based on Gas Mileage and Cost

• Thread starter Loppyfoot
  • Start date
In summary, "The better buy problem" is a mathematical problem used to compare the cost or value of two items and determine which one is the better deal. This can be solved by comparing unit prices or values, and requires information about the prices and quantities of both items. It is important for consumers to make informed decisions when purchasing items. Additionally, "The better buy problem" can also be applied to non-consumer situations such as business decisions or investments.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

Bob is deciding whether to buy Car A which is $4000 and 20mpg, or Car B which is $5500 and 30mpg. Bob guesstimates that the gas will be about $1.25 per gallon. Repair costs will not factor into this problem. How many miles would Bob need to drive, before Car B becomes the better buy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I thought about subtracting 5500-4000 to get $1500. I guessed that this would be the amount that Bob would have to make-up. So if Car B drives 100 miles, and the car gets 30mpg, I calculated that the total gas would cost $4.16. So I made a proportion:

100 = X
$4.16 $1500

So, 4.16X = 150,000
X=150,000/4.16
X=36057miles

I got 36,057 miles. Is this correct? Is there another way to complete this problem? This section of my chapter is velocity, position, and time.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Loppyfoot said:

Homework Statement

Bob is deciding whether to buy Car A which is $4000 and 20mpg, or Car B which is $5500 and 30mpg. Bob guesstimates that the gas will be about $1.25 per gallon. Repair costs will not factor into this problem. How many miles would Bob need to drive, before Car B becomes the better buy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I thought about subtracting 5500-4000 to get $1500. I guessed that this would be the amount that Bob would have to make-up. So if Car B drives 100 miles, and the car gets 30mpg, I calculated that the total gas would cost $4.16. So I made a proportion:

100 = X
$4.16 $1500

So, 4.16X = 150,000
X=150,000/4.16
X=36057miles

I got 36,057 miles. Is this correct? Is there another way to complete this problem? This section of my chapter is velocity, position, and time.

Thanks

I don't think that is the correct answer. You need to set up the equation for the total cost of ownership for each car, based on the initial price plus the cost to drive X miles.

Last edited:
One thing that may help you visualize how to set up the problem...

Draw an x-y graph, with the vertical axis labeled with total cost in $, and the horizontal axis labeled with distance traveled in miles. The $4000 car starts out as a point on the vertical axis at $4000, and the more expensive one starts out at $5500. There is a line for each car, starting at their initial point, and based on their gas consumption rate in mpg. The line up and to the right for the 4000 car has a steeper slope, because of the worse mileage rating. The two lines intersect at a point where the total cost of ownership is equal. Past that intersection point, the $5500 car is cheaper to own...

I got 72,000 miles for where they are equal. So, after 72,001 miles would make Car B the best choice.

Do you know if there is a faster way to complete this problem?

Loppyfoot said:
I got 72,000 miles for where they are equal. So, after 72,001 miles would make Car B the best choice.

Do you know if there is a faster way to complete this problem?

That's the same answer I got. I don't know about a faster way. I initially tried just figuring out how to get the $1500 difference, but then did the sketch/plot, and realized that I was neglecting the initial investment cost. If you think about it some, and keep checking your alternate methods' answers, you may find a good trick. Good luck!

I found that if I plugged in the formula:
CostA = ((1.25x)/20) + 4000
CostB = ((1.25x)/30) + 5500

into my calculator, and then made a table, plugging in values of x; in factors of 10000; it sped it up a little bit.

Conceptually one can approach the problem in much the same way as the OP. Car B costs $1500 more than A but gets better gas milleage. What is important to consider is the relative savings between the cars. The cost per mile for A is (1.25)/20 while B is (1.25)/30. The difference is 1/48. So it boils down to how many many miles at $1/48 per mile savings must one drive in order to save $1500? The answer is 48 x 1500 = 72,000 miles.

Whats really happening here is solving the system

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{c} y=4000 + \frac{1.25}{20}x \\ \\
y=5500 + \frac{1.25}{30}x \end{array}[/tex]

which results in the equation and solution:

[tex]5500 + \frac{1.25}{30}x = 4000 + \frac{1.25}{20}x[/tex]

[tex]5500 - 4000 = \frac{1.25}{20}x - \frac{1.25}{30}x[/tex]

[tex]1500 = \left( \frac{1}{16} - \frac{1}{24} \right) x[/tex]

[tex]1500 = \frac{1}{48}x[/tex]

[tex]x= 48 \cdot 1500 = 72000[/tex]

--Elucidus

1. What is "The better buy problem"?

The better buy problem is a mathematical problem that compares the cost or value of two items in order to determine which one is the better deal.

2. How do you solve "The better buy problem"?

To solve the better buy problem, you need to compare the unit prices or values of the two items. The item with the lower unit price or higher value is considered the better buy.

3. What information do you need to solve "The better buy problem"?

You need to know the prices and quantities of both items in order to solve the better buy problem. Without this information, it is impossible to determine which item is the better buy.

4. Why is "The better buy problem" important?

The better buy problem is important because it helps consumers make informed decisions when purchasing items. By comparing prices and values, consumers can ensure that they are getting the best deal for their money.

5. Can "The better buy problem" be applied to non-consumer situations?

Yes, the better buy problem can be applied to any situation where you need to compare the cost or value of two items. This could include business decisions, investment choices, and more.