The Cheesecake factory bakery/restaurant

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: Japan a few years back.In summary, Expect to pay about $20 a plate for food at this restaurant. Employees normally walk away with $150-$200 in tips PER DAY. The kitchen area is like.. 150 feet wide. There is NEVER a "down time" at this restaurant.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone here have one near them? I know someone who works at a new one built here in Fresno and the way he described it was just... insane!

1) Expect to pay about $20 a plate
2) Employees normally walk away with $150-$200 in tips PER DAY
3) So far the lines have been so long that they almost wrap around the building twice
4) There is like this 400 question test every employee must score insanely high on (3 sections, first 2 require 100%, last 90%) to keep their job
5) They waste food like crazy, if the people who walk around see even a small burn mark or something is not aligned correctly, they THROW THE FOOD AWAY (or give it to the employees).
6) The kitchen area is like.. 150 feet wide
7) There is NEVER a "down time"
8) Each and every single employee gets benefits
9) For a few weeks upon opening, the employees get $200 referall fees for finding people to work for hte restaurant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, but do they serve Beefaroni?

No which means I'm never going to eat there.

There is one in Birmingham, which is about 45 minutes or so away from where I live. Great food. STEEP prices. I remember one year my ex-girlfriend's parents took us for her birthday. It was the two of us, her parents, and her younger brother. We each had an entree and a piece of cheesecake for dessert. I saw the bill when the waiter passed it to my ex's father. You guys ready for this?
$160!
Like I said though, they have some damn good food. Service was excellent also.
I'm just glad I wasn't paying...:rofl:

Yeah. They have them in NY and Chicago. Like already has been said, kind of steep prices and I never got a table without a pretty lengthy wait. Honestly, they were good, but in places like NY there are plenty of better places that are less expensive and have better food.

That's really not a ton of money for a waiter, especially in a nicer restaurant. You can make that much at a Denny's.
and $20 a plate isn't bad at all.
in fact nothing on your list seems extraordinary. Seems like your average upper-middle class restaurant. I've gone to places where I paid $20 for a drink. And I've easily tipped over $100 by myself in a few bars.

Last edited:
tribdog said:
That's really not a ton of money for a waiter, especially in a nicer restaurant. You can make that much at a Denny's.
and $20 a plate isn't bad at all.

$20 American is still a little too steep. Why not just go the thrifty way and go to the food lot, buy several cans of black beans, and a huge bag of jasmine rice? Either that or eat the Ramen way... $0.12 meal.

Even McDonalds is about $7 per person. There are a few Chinese restaurants I know of around here where dinner is $25 per person. I even bought a pizza once in Chicago that cost me $45 (got ripped off though on that one)

We have a CF here in PA (King of Prussia). I've been to CF before, and I am not impressed. It is your typical chain restraunt-the food is always too greasy. They do have good cheesecakes, but I would rather get one from a bakery Philly. CF is expensive for the food that you get. When I was there though Terrell Owens was there eating with a bunch of his body guards.

There is one in Pasadena that I went to once, and I think I've seen a few others. It was a decent enough place, but as trib noted, it's par for the course as far as I'm concerned. When I was working at Downtown Disney, I paid at least $15 every day to eat lunch at the Jazz Kitchen (man, it was wonderful back when I wasn't paying rent - I can only dream of eating jambalaya, cajun chicken, and beignets on a daily basis now). I took a girl on a date there and spent over $60 just on drinks. I used to love that place. And hell, that's just Orange County The most I've ever spent was probably Nobu in New York, somewhere around $200 for three people (I didn't foot the bill for this one - get real).* The guy that did though told a great story of how he was never going back to the bar at the Soho Grand Hotel, where he paid $15 for a martini.

All that said, I'm not entirely sure how trib managed to spend $45 on a slice of pizza. I guess it beats those suckers from The Freshman that paid 10K for fake komodo dragon meat.

*Actually, now that I think about it, my ex-girlfriend and I managed to ring up over $200 for two people at the Iron Monkey in Jersey City, but that was for New Year's Eve and we had at least five courses, dessert, and drinks over the course of five hours or so.

HATE THEM!

They have them here and I really do not know how they stay in business, the food is mediocre, there are always long lines, and the meal just isn't worth the wait.

Oh, and they have the worst iced tea in the world, they have only one flavor - CHEAP PERFUME. It's the only time I had to refuse a glass of iced tea and switch to another beverage. The waiter said they get complaints about it all the time.

Last edited:
I got a CCF in Arizona, and yes, it IS GREAT! Awesome food, okay prices (~$15 for most, Most expensive was like ~$28), and the service was awesome, even answering my questions on how they organize waiting areas for equal work loads! (Computer)

Try going to a nice sushi bar. you can easily run up $100-$150 per person.

OMG. So good. The one in Rockville is to die for.

It's in the mall (right below a Borders), so you put your name in and come back in an hour and a half if you're going around dinnertime on the weekend.

Other times, it's only 20 minutes or so.

Thats for making my city look like crap haha

tribdog said:
Try going to a nice sushi bar. you can easily run up $100-$150 per person.
I was going to say... and that's not even including a bar tab.
For one of my best friend's 21st birthday we went to a nice little sushi bar, nothing fancy but definitely popular, and between the bar and the sushi I spent over $200 with most of that being my own tab.

Anyway, I have to agree with Trib and LYN. It's not that outrageous. I've been to a hole in the wall blues club where the food and service isn't all that great but they still charge about $20 a plate. And I mean seriously $20 just for your entree and appetizers are at least $10 for the cheap ones. They started over charging for drinks too so I haven't been there since.

As far as tips those aren't even great tips, for a place like that it's mediocre. That test... waiters at nicer places are supposed to learn the menu inside and out and be able to tell a customer what is in every dish, how it's cooked, how it's served, ect. That's not unusual either.

I have been there a few times, and I wasnt really all that impressed. First time I went though, we put in our name at around 4pm (this wasnt even a weekend), and we didnt get our table until 8pm. We were done eating by about 9:30 pm. Granted, I went with a bunch of my friends when I was in high school so we didnt have drinks or anything, but still. I would say its overrated

- harsh

Why are you people going to the Cheesecake Factory for meals?! The food is mediocre (like an Applebees or TGI Fridays), and definitely overpriced for the quality. You go for the cheesecake!

If you're in a touristy area, the lines are insane in those places, but if you find one just in a mall in an area of a city that isn't too touristy, the line is more reasonable. If you go for lunch, you can avoid lines. The real problem is the dinner crowd because people are crazy enough to actually go for dinner, and of course the point is to get dessert, so every table has customers lingering over dessert and coffee after the meal, so they just can't turn-over tables fast enough to keep up with the line out the door.

Oh, the one in Cincinnati had take-out for cakes. So, you didn't have to eat there, you could just buy a cheesecake and go! :biggrin: We did that a few times for birthdays when I was there. They're expensive, but you do get a HUGE cake, and it was definitely better than the inexpensive bakeries where all the cakes taste the same.

I don't know what's up with peopel saying that the food isn't very good. Maybe it just depends on where you are. The one I have been to down here in facist island is pretty good.
TGIFs are about the same on price and lesser quality(around here).

A friend of mine who styles herself an aficionado actually hates CCF cheesecake. She swears by the cheesecake at Outback Steakhouse.

I really don't get the hate over the food at Cheesecake. I thought they were very delicious, at least the ones I ordered.

Different strokes for different folks perhaps.

On a side note, the best cheesecake I ever had was Junior's cheesecake in Brooklyn. You can't miss it

Last edited:
Actually I remember the last time I went I ordered what they called "jambalaya". It was horrible. It did not even remotely resemble real jambalaya. It was some bland fast food interpretation, I was angry because I really wanted some. If I had never had real jambalaya before, I guess I would have thought it was ok.

It's like serving spam instead of baked ham. Or beefaroni. :tongue: Some people like spam and beefaroni. :uhh: <pengwuino> :biggrin:

There is a little restaurant about 80 minutes north of here in a dying little town that serves jambalaya that is to die for. There is no place to park and is a real hassle to get to, but each dish the chef prepares is fabulous.

That's the problem, at the Cheesecake Factory, the food is just ok. It certainly doesn't warrant the lines of people waiting to get tables. That's what I don't get, there is food as good and better at other places.

Junior's is famous for their cheesecake, I agree it's good. You need to try my homemade New York cheesecake though.

Last edited:
Stupidest thing I ever ordered was a $100 cheesesteak at Barclay's in philly. Yeah it was good because of the Kobe steak and truffles etc. but IMO it wasn't worth 20 pat's cheesesteaks.

Evo said:
Junior's is famous for their cheesecake, I agree it's good. You need to try my homemade New York cheesecake though.

I'll take a number

Evo said:
You need to try my homemade New York cheesecake though.
Well, I was shooting for Christmas cookies, but if you want to give me a cheesecake that'd be fine.

Evo said:
You need to try my homemade New York cheesecake though.
If it's homemade by you, doesn't that make it Kansas cheesecake? :biggrin:

I used to have a fantastic cheesecake recipe from my grandmother, but I lost it. :cry: I asked my mom to look up her copy, but she doesn't know which one I want (she has a bunch of recipes, but only one is THE one). :cry:

Evo said:
That's the problem, at the Cheesecake Factory, the food is just ok. It certainly doesn't warrant the lines of people waiting to get tables. That's what I don't get, there is food as good and better at other places.

That reminds me of a quote from Office Space. "People don't go to Chotchkies for the food, but for the atmosphere." Right... :uhh:

Pah, if I wanted atmosphere I'd go out to the park and have a picnic. No use having to spend extra money for eye candy decorations or spending extra just to go to a bourgeois high-tier restaurant.

And while I'm on the topic of Office Space, *gets Bill Lumberg Accent* Yeah. Um.. Yeah.

1. What is the history of The Cheesecake Factory bakery/restaurant?

The Cheesecake Factory was founded in 1978 by Evelyn Overton in Beverly Hills, California. It started as a small bakery specializing in cheesecakes and expanded to a full-service restaurant in 1992. Today, it has over 200 locations across the United States and is known for its extensive menu and delicious cheesecakes.

2. What makes The Cheesecake Factory's cheesecakes so special?

The Cheesecake Factory's cheesecakes are made with high-quality ingredients and baked fresh daily. They are also known for their large size and wide variety of flavors, including classic favorites like New York style and unique options like Oreo Dream Extreme and Red Velvet. Their cheesecakes have won numerous awards and are a customer favorite.

3. Does The Cheesecake Factory offer options for those with dietary restrictions?

Yes, The Cheesecake Factory offers a variety of options for those with dietary restrictions. They have a "SkinnyLicious" menu with lighter options, as well as a "Gluten-Free" menu. They also have vegetarian and vegan options available. The restaurant is also able to accommodate specific dietary needs or allergies upon request.

4. How is the food quality at The Cheesecake Factory?

The Cheesecake Factory prides itself on using fresh, high-quality ingredients in all of its dishes. They have a large menu with a wide range of options, including appetizers, salads, sandwiches, pasta, seafood, and more. Many customers rave about the food quality and taste, making it a popular choice for meals with family and friends.

5. Is The Cheesecake Factory a good option for large groups or special occasions?

Yes, The Cheesecake Factory is a great choice for large groups or special occasions. The restaurant has a spacious and welcoming atmosphere, and their large menu offers something for everyone. They also have private dining options available for parties and events. And, of course, their famous cheesecakes make for a delicious dessert to celebrate any occasion.