Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Citizendium - Wikipedia's off-shoot

1. Sep 16, 2006 #1
    ...or as they would like to call it, a "progressive fork."

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2006 #2
  4. Sep 16, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

Hmmmmm "both to allow people a place to work under the direction of experts, and in which personal accountability--including the use of real names--is expected."

I see the reasoning behind this, but a lot of people do not wish to give out their real identity online.
  5. Sep 16, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How would they even know if you gave your real name? If you provide a first and last name, they'd have no way to know it's not your real name. Otherwise, they'll only attract all those crackpots who sign every post with their full name, including middle initials.
  6. Sep 16, 2006 #5

Staff: Mentor

Unless they intend to verify the identity of everyone that registers. I have no idea how they plan to verify identity, but they restated it in the FAQ and said that anyone that wishes to contribute anonymously still has wikipedia. Funny that on the sign up list, name is "optional"
  7. Sep 16, 2006 #6
    I don't get why only a satirical parody of Uncyclopedia credit of being the only encylopedia that anyone can edit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?