The densest areas in the universe

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cbd1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Areas Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
cbd1
Messages
123
Reaction score
1
I would like to ask where the greatest density of mass per area could be in the universe. I don't mean like "next to a black hole" but as in a highly densely populated area of space. I would naturally think it would have to be in a supercluster of galaxies, as compared to a void. Now within a supercluster we have galaxy groups. Would you agree that one of the densest regions in space is that of a galaxy group within a supercluster?
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Globular clusters are probably close to the densest region of the universe, aside from black holes. Galaxies are really quite diffuse. Even galactic core regions are hard pressed to match globular cluster for mass density.
 
Thanks Chronos. I see that globular clusters are areas with the highest star densities. I think I should rephrase again to show I mean an area of the extra-galactic scale. It is to ask where it is that the space between galaxies is the densest. Or, more clearly, where is it that a region of space of extra-galactic size has the highest galaxy density? (Basically, what neighborhoods within superclusters are populated with the highest density of galaxies?)