The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict

In summary, The Other Einstein is an awesome novel that portrays the struggles of Mileva Maric, the wife of Albert Einstein, in balancing life and work. The author has thoroughly researched the life of Mileva, making the book relatable and captivating. As someone who has taken a similar path in mathematics and physics, and as a working mother, the book resonated with me on a personal level. While it is a fictional portrayal, it offers a glimpse into the human side of the legendary Einstein, and I highly recommend it to all his admirers. It serves as a reminder that even extraordinary individuals face challenges and obstacles in their personal and professional lives.
Gamma
I am glad that this Summer I was introduced to an awesome novel, The Other Einstein. The book is the fictional portrayal of Mileva Maric, the wife of my favorite scientist Albert Einstein, and her struggles to balance life and work. The author has done a good job in researching the life of Mileva through available artifacts. This book captivated me as I was able to completely relate to Mileva.

As I myself has taken the path of mathematics and physics, now an associate professor of physics, as one whose husband has taken a similar path as mine but reached greater heights in his professional life, as a mother who strive to balance life and work, and as one who almost gave up her professional life to take care of family with a lengthy ten-year break, I was able to relate to Mileva Maric almost minute-to-minute! I highly recommend this book to all Einstein admirers as it gives a peak into the human side of this legend!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Gamma said:
The book is the fictional portrayal of Mileva Maric, the wife of my favorite scientist Albert Einstein, and her struggles to balance life and work.

But if it is a "fictional portrayal", to what extent can you believe what has been written? A fiction can turn a sinner into a saint, and a saint into a sinner. One might as well be enamored by Eva Peron simply based on the stage musical or the movie.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
One might as well be enamored by Eva Peron simply based on the stage musical or the movie

Springtime for Hitler, anyone?

Absolutely. This is a fictional work although the author has done extensive research on the characters for this book. If nothing else, I have renewed interest in looking into further about the life of this couple. To know that extraordinary people like Einstein have the same challenges and uphill battles similar to mine is a great source of encouragement!

1. What is "The Other Einstein" about?

The Other Einstein is a historical fiction novel that tells the story of Mileva Maric, a brilliant physicist and the first wife of Albert Einstein. The novel explores Mileva's contributions to Einstein's work and her struggles as a female scientist in the early 20th century.

2. Is "The Other Einstein" based on true events?

Yes, "The Other Einstein" is based on the real-life story of Mileva Maric and her relationship with Albert Einstein. However, it is a fictionalized account and some details and events have been altered for the sake of storytelling.

3. What inspired the author, Marie Benedict, to write "The Other Einstein"?

Marie Benedict was inspired to write "The Other Einstein" after learning about Mileva Maric and her contributions to Einstein's work. She was intrigued by the fact that Mileva was a brilliant scientist in her own right, but her story has largely been overlooked by history.

4. Is "The Other Einstein" a good representation of the scientific community in the early 20th century?

While "The Other Einstein" is based on true events, it is ultimately a work of fiction. It may not accurately represent the entire scientific community in the early 20th century, but it does shed light on the challenges and discrimination faced by female scientists during that time period.

5. What are some key themes in "The Other Einstein"?

Some key themes in "The Other Einstein" include gender discrimination in the scientific community, the sacrifices and struggles of being a female scientist, and the complexities of marriage and relationships. It also explores the concept of genius and the societal expectations and limitations placed on women during that time period.