The Purposes of Physics: Understanding the Fundamentals of Nature

• B
  • Thread starter trees and plants
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
It tries to find patterns and laws that govern the behavior of the world around us. These laws are represented mathematically, as that is the most effective way to express them. By understanding these laws, we can make predictions about how the world will behave in different situations, which has practical applications in technology and engineering. Additionally, the study of physics also satisfies our curiosity about the world and our place in it.
trees and plants
Hello. The questions are very basic: What are the purposes of physics? Why physics works are made? Are they to describe mathematically what can be observed in nature or should they be more abstract and describe properties derived or connected to other works in physics? Excuse me, i am a little confused about this thing in physics. For example in general relativity and quantum field theory, i read and try to memorise them but i do not know what the things i read express in nature. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the research of physics is driven mainly because of the applications that physics may find in technology and engineering. For example without classical EM that give us the basics of electric circuits and without Quantum physics that explain very well the internal workings of transistors, modern computers and smartphones wouldn't be possible. And we all understand how important are computers for human life. I know humanity existed for a few thousand years without computers, but nowdays it is almost impossible to imagine our life without computers and smartphones.
So one purpose of physics is so we can get our hands on better technologies

One other purpose of physics is the race of the human mind to understand the world around it. Universe exists and it isn't completely random it seems to have some order and some laws. Physics is all about finding these laws and explaining everything that is happening out there , based in a set of a "few" laws.

Thank you Delta2. Anyone else who wants to answer my questions? They are very basic but i do not know the answers to them.

infinitely small said:
For example in general relativity and quantum field theory, i read and try to memorise them but i do not know what the things i read express in nature
Do you mean here that the theories appear to you too much abstract and mathematical, with no interconnection to the physical reality? Well I think you are reading too advanced texts, try reading some more understandable.

Likes Vanadium 50
To me the whole point of physics is to express the laws of nature as mathematical relationships. Galileo said, "The book of nature is written in the language of mathematics". At least this is the way I have seen it paraphrased. A more accurate quote (of course translated from the Italian) is:
“Philosophy [nature] is written in that great book which ever is before our eyes -- I mean the universe -- but we cannot understand it if we do not first learn the language and grasp the symbols in which it is written. The book is written in mathematical language, and the symbols are triangles, circles and other geometrical figures, without whose help it is impossible to comprehend a single word of it; without which one wanders in vain through a dark labyrinth.”

Likes Delta2
infinitely small said:
What are the purposes of physics?
To build theories that accurately predict the outcome of experiments.

infinitely small said:
i read and try to memorise them but i do not know what the things i read express in nature
It sounds like you may be focusing exclusively on the theories and not learning about the experiments. The experiments are the “in nature” part of physics.

Likes lomidrevo and Delta2
infinitely small said:
Hello. The questions are very basic: What are the purposes of physics? Why physics works are made? Are they to describe mathematically what can be observed in nature or should they be more abstract and describe properties derived or connected to other works in physics? Excuse me, i am a little confused about this thing in physics. For example in general relativity and quantum field theory, i read and try to memorise them but i do not know what the things i read express in nature. Thank you.

The purpose of physics is for us to understand better the world we live in. It so has happened that we can represent this knowledge through mathematical and logical relations in an elegant way. That's why maths are used in physical theories.
Of course, I wouldn't just say that physics models are all about fitting what we see. A theory that would just describe perfectly everything we see is very trivial to implement (just give it enough degrees of freedom), but it is overall useless. On top of explaining our observations, it should also make testable predictions that would, eventually, lead and add up to our knowledge. An example is that General Relativity did not only manage to explain the perihelion shifts of planets like Mercury, but it also predicted objects like Black Holes, gravitational waves and so on (which made it a strong theory) and were later on verified in experiment,

If you are a physicist, I would advise against memorizing. Instead you should be trying to understand the mathematical equations as to manage and get an intuition of what is considered counter-intuitive. There is intuition that comes from your everyday experience (like the 3D world), but there is also a type of intuition that you build from putting your mind to burn over some (otherwise useless) mathematical expressions.

ChrisVer said:
A theory that would just describe perfectly everything we see is very trivial to implement (just give it enough degrees of freedom), but it is overall useless.
Hence the use of the word “predict” instead of the word “describe”.

infinitely small said:
In my opinion, the purpose of physics is "self-explanatory". I mean, if one understand what is a physical law, then its purpose is pretty obvious. A little hint by one of the most respected physicists of all times:

It boils down to ability to predict evolution of natural phenomena.

Likes Tony Hau, davenn and phyzguy
infinitely small said:

To make correct predictions.

Physics or science in general studies how nature behaves.

1. What is the main goal of physics?

The main goal of physics is to understand the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of the natural world. This includes studying the properties of matter, energy, space, and time, as well as the interactions between them.

2. How does physics contribute to our daily lives?

Physics is involved in many aspects of our daily lives, from the technology we use to the natural phenomena we observe. It helps us understand how things work and allows us to develop new technologies that improve our lives, such as electricity, computers, and medical equipment.

3. What are the fundamental forces of nature?

The fundamental forces of nature are gravity, electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. These forces govern the interactions between particles and objects in the universe and play a crucial role in shaping the world around us.

4. How does physics relate to other scientific disciplines?

Physics is considered the most fundamental of all the sciences because it provides the foundation for understanding the other sciences. It is closely related to fields such as chemistry, biology, and astronomy, and its principles are used in various applications in these disciplines.

5. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has many real-world applications, including the development of technology, such as computers, smartphones, and renewable energy sources. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as medicine, engineering, and space exploration. Additionally, physics helps us understand natural phenomena, such as weather patterns, and allows us to make predictions and take measures to protect our environment.