The size cells can grow to is limited. Of the cells shown, which one

• Thread starter Lo.Lee.Ta.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells
In summary: The answer would be E. In summary, the cells shown have a limited size they can grow to, and the one that would likely experience the greatest difficulty as it grows larger, assuming it retains the same shape, is the thin rectangle (E) due to its lower surface area to volume ratio compared to the other options.
Lo.Lee.Ta.
"The size cells can grow to is limited. Of the cells shown, which one"

Practice test question:

12) The size cells can grow to is limited. Of the
cells shown below, which one is likely to
experience the greatest difficulty as it grows
larger assuming it retains the same shape?

This is an awful picture! :( But it's how the image from the practice test is copied...

cellpic_zps2cf7093e.jpg

If you cannot tell what this is, A. plus sign, B. rainbow, C. hourglass, D. circle, E. thin rectangle.

Alright, my question first of all is- what are they meaning about grows larger? Do they mean surface area grows larger or volume grows larger?

Because I thought, if they meant surface area, the answer would would be E (thin rectangle), because neural cells somewhat have this long and thin shape as a way to increase surface area and signalling.

But then if they mean it grows larger in terms of volume, I think the answer would be D (circle), because I think a circle holds the most volume...?

I'm not sure about this... What would you say is the right answer here?
An answer key is not provided.
Thank you so much! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

I suppose they mean it grows linearly in size - so for the sphere it would be twice larger when the diameter is twice larger.

Late to reply, but if you are still interested... I think they mean simply increases in size.

One of the limitations on how large cells can grow is the surface area to volume ratio. The word ratio is the key.

1. What determines the size limit of cells?

The size limit of cells is determined by the surface area to volume ratio. As cells grow larger, their volume increases at a faster rate than their surface area, limiting the amount of nutrients and waste that can be exchanged through the cell's membrane.

2. What happens if a cell exceeds its size limit?

If a cell exceeds its size limit, it may become inefficient in carrying out its functions, leading to cellular dysfunction and potential cell death. It can also put strain on the cell's membrane and organelles, causing damage.

3. Are there any exceptions to the size limit of cells?

There are some exceptions, such as skeletal muscle cells and some plant cells, which can grow larger due to specialized adaptations such as multiple nuclei and vacuoles that help maintain the surface area to volume ratio.

4. How do cells control their size and maintain the size limit?

Cells have mechanisms in place to control their size, such as regulating the production of growth factors and proteins involved in cell growth. They also have checkpoints in the cell cycle to ensure proper growth and division.

5. Why is it important to understand the size limit of cells?

Understanding the size limit of cells is crucial for understanding cellular function and development, as well as diseases that involve cell growth abnormalities, such as cancer. It also helps us understand the limits of living organisms and how they adapt to their environment.