Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian, last episode tonight.

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    If anyone cares, Conan's last episode as host of the tonight show is tonight. Conan is definitely a better host than Leno ever could be, but of course all good things must be destroyed by corporate douche bags. The only late night show thats on now thats even remotely entertaining is Craig Ferguson. I really wish companies such as NBC Fox wouldn't kill off the only quality programming that they provide.

http://blog.rooftopcomedy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/nbc_sucks1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2
    it's a generational thing, i think. NBC is betting on the oldfart demographic. which, maybe, is the right move. broadcast television is kind of like AM radio now.

4. Jan 22, 2010 #3
    I'm going to miss Conan! He was awesome, and such a dork, and that's why I liked watching him. Way better than Leno.

5. Jan 23, 2010 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alright, I saw this thread and had to watch. Not to say that I haven't been a Conan fan, but the last show of his that I made to point to watch was his third show, on the Late Show. That was in 1993. :biggrin:

Neil Young! Not bad for a last musical guest.

6. Jan 23, 2010 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know why anyone ever liked Conan. I think the demographic he'd appeal to has a bedtime before the Tonight Show comes on. He might have a better chance being on during the hour before the adolescent boys who like the shock jock junk on the radio go to school.

Their viewers must agree. No network is going to drop a host if the show is getting good ratings. They probably also came to their senses that filling up all of the 10 PM slots during the week with a single show is wasting prime time space for the more adult-themed shows that can't be aired earlier but get a lot of viewers.

7. Jan 23, 2010 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On one of Conan's very first shows, back in 1993, he had Jamie Lee Curtis on as a guest. This led to what must be one of the most uncomfortable moments on television. Conan was very green and awkward. His skills as an interviewer were clearly lacking. Eventually, much to Conan's dismay, Curtis starts cracking up and finally manges to blurt out that this is the worst interview she has ever had. She then got up and left during the interview! Poor Conan was stunned. What a lousy way to start a new show.

8. Jan 23, 2010 #7
    I tried to watch it but I fell asleep halfway through (not hating on Coco, I was sleepy)

9. Jan 23, 2010 #8
    Oh, come on now. I'm sure you must know that humor is subjective!

I agree with you in a way, however. I don't think The Tonight Show was really a good fit for Conan's style. Or, rather, Conan's style was NOT a good fit with the Leno-era Tonight Show demographic.

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, saw this coming -- except, apparently, the network executives. Those morons should have taken note when the local affiliates complained BEFORE Leno took to prime. There have been quite a few major markets that have seen their late-news take some pretty big hits because of the weak lead-in.

Also, I can assure you that my bedtime is after 11:35PM. :biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook