The worst written science article I've ever seen a journalist produce

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Lyuokdea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    article Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 6K views
Lyuokdea
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
The worst written science "article" I've ever seen a journalist produce

I'm just appalled, I don't even know what to say...I don't think this is even in a blog, it appears to actually be an article by fox news (and it came up on their main page)

I guess a second issue is...what do you do against such blatantly horrible journalism, and how do you respond to it?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,483477,00.html

Still worried that the Large Hadron Collider will create a black hole that will destroy the Earth when it's finally switched on this summer?

Um, well, you may have a point.

Three physicists have reexamined the math surrounding the creation of microscopic black holes in the Switzerland-based LHC, the world's largest particle collider, and determined that they won't simply evaporate in a millisecond as had previously been predicted.

Rather, Roberto Casadio of the University of Bologna in Italy and Sergio Fabi and Benjamin Harms of the University of Alabama say mini black holes could exist for much longer — perhaps even more than a second, a relative eternity in particle colliders, where most objects decay much faster.
~Lyuokdea
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


Lyuokdea said:
If the worst comes to pass, and there's now a slightly greater chance that it might, at least it might explain why we've never heard from extraterrestrial civilizations: Maybe they built Large Hadron Colliders of their own.

~Lyuokdea
And destroyed the universe?... Wait! we're still here for now (we'll have to keep checking, I guess).
 


turbo-1 said:
And destroyed the universe?... Wait! we're still here for now (we'll have to keep checking, I guess).

A black hole would not destroy the universe, just their planet, and, depending on conditions, their solar system.
 


This is old news, the chances of it creating a black hole are small, and even if it does they will by so minute as to have relatively little effect (I made a joke there, did you see?) :wink:

Silly journalists. Same thing happened when they produced anti-hydrogen. :rolleyes:
 


Cyrus said:
Fair & Balanced
pronounced: "fairly imbalanced"
 


The atom bomb supposedly would have had created a chain reaction, turning our planet into a inferno.
 


Lyuokdea said:
I'm just appalled, I don't even know what to say...I don't think this is even in a blog, it appears to actually be an article by fox news (and it came up on their main page)

I guess a second issue is...what do you do against such blatantly horrible journalism, and how do you respond to it?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,483477,00.html
Still worried that the Large Hadron Collider will create a black hole that will destroy the Earth when it's finally switched on this summer?

Um, well, you may have a point.

Three physicists have reexamined the math surrounding the creation of microscopic black holes in the Switzerland-based LHC, the world's largest particle collider, and determined that they won't simply evaporate in a millisecond as had previously been predicted.

Rather, Roberto Casadio of the University of Bologna in Italy and Sergio Fabi and Benjamin Harms of the University of Alabama say mini black holes could exist for much longer — perhaps even more than a second, a relative eternity in particle colliders, where most objects decay much faster.
~Lyuokdea
I don't understand how this is the worst written "article" you've ever seen. It is a bit tongue-in-cheek, yes, but the article is likely reporting on a few research articles that came out this week regarding miscalculations in CERN's risk investigation.
http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.2948
http://arxiv.org/abs/0810.5515
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Oh those scientists, never knowing what's right and what's wrong.

Faux News said:
We're also wondering how often the LHC might create individual black holes, since longer-lived ones have a greater chance of merging with each other, and, um, well, see ya.
 


Until they have a binoculars to see people in real time, they will always confuse and get confused. :biggrin: