Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theater of War - modern warriors find solace in ancient tales

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/jan-june10/ptsd_02-03.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2
    It's a great concept.

Soldiers can identify with characters and would feel less alone ... the fact that Sophocles was himself a general in the Athenian army helps a lot.

Soldiers are reluctant to seek treatments if and when they really need them because of the stigma of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and they also worry that they might be passed over for promotion or viewed as weak.

Since soldiers don't like to talk to a shrink and seek therapy, this theater would help them to open up and could reduce stigma and ultimately help veterans seek these treatments

That's a wonderful way of supporting our troops.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    This book, "Achilles in Vietnam" by Jonathan Shay, was recommended to me by one of my Greek professors once:

https://www.amazon.com/Achilles-Vie...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265573581&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fascinating! As the saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun.

Btw, Philosoraptor, I had to LOL when I first saw your username. :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. Feb 7, 2010 #5
    Haha thank you! I can't claim credit for the pun (a friend of mine thought it up) but it's way too good to pass up.

And truly, the lament of Ecclesiastes is fitting: "Vanitas vanitatum." Thanks for the link to the story, it is a good one. PBS is wonderful.

"Solomon saith: 'There is no new thing upon the earth.' So that as Plato had an imagination, that all knowledge was but remembrance; so Solomon giveth his sentence, That all novelty is but oblivion."
    --Francis Bacon

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook