Thermal expansion, heat capacity, and hydraulic lift problems

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter FestiveF
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Basic physics Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
FestiveF
Hi all! I am new to the forum and I have a few lower level physics problem with which I am confused. Any help and explanations will be immensely appreciated!

1) A steel pipeline is 1500 m long and is at a temperature of 30 degrees celsius. How much shorter will it be if the temperature falls to 10 degrees celsius?
*I got .36 m...

2) How much heat is absorbed by 255 g of methanol when it is heated from 10 degrees celsius to 60 degrees celsius?
*I got 3.12 x 10^4 J...

3) Calculate the number of kJ of heat energy liberated by 4 kg of steam at 100 degrees when it is condensed, cooled, and changed to ice at 0 degrees.
* I got 1.2 x 10^4 kJ...

4) If the density of mercury is 13.59 x 10^3 kg/m^3 at 20 degrees celsius, what will its density be at 65 degrees celsius?

5) In a certain hydraulic lift, the small piston has a radius of 15 cm. The large piston has a radius of 26 cm. A force of 225 N is applied to the small piston. What is the mass of the crate that is being lifted by the application of this 225 N force?

Thank you SO much ahead of time ~
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Festive, welcome to the forums!

Can you post your calculations, so we can see where you're getting stuck?
 
Don't you need some thermal expansion coefficents of something?