Thermal Stresses on a New Building

In summary, the conversation discusses a new library built specifically for engineering students and the narrator's experience of hearing popping noises on the windows while sitting in the library. The narrator theorizes that the noises are caused by thermal expansion and contraction of the metal holding the glass walls in place, but is unsure if this is the sole cause. They suggest considering other factors such as aerodynamic loads and the temperature and expansion coefficient of the glass.
Aero51
My University just build this amazing library exclusively for the engineering departments and similar fields of study. This is my first time taking advantage of the new complex and I am sitting on the 3nd floor over an all glass-wall window. As the sun was setting I notice tiny popping noises on the windows: as if somebody was throwing a small pebbles. Because of the correlation between sunrise and sunset, my conclusion is that the only source of these "popping" noises are due to thermal expansion and contraction on the metal keeping the glass walls in place. I was also considering forces due to aerodynamic loads, but these are occurring sporadically with sometimes large time intervals.

For those with structural engineering experience, what could be other causes? I feel like hearing the thermal expansion and contraction shouldn't create so much noise on a new "well build" building.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Consider the maximum and minimum temperature of the day, thermal expansion coeffecient of glass and calculate the expansion. See if it's negligible or not.

1. What are thermal stresses on a new building?

Thermal stresses refer to the changes in shape, size, and volume of a building due to temperature fluctuations. When a building is exposed to varying temperatures, its materials expand or contract, causing stress on the structure.

2. How do thermal stresses affect a new building?

Thermal stresses can cause cracks, warping, and other forms of damage to a new building. These stresses can compromise the structural integrity of the building and lead to costly repairs.

3. What factors contribute to thermal stresses on a new building?

The materials used in construction, the design of the building, and the climate of the location all play a role in the level of thermal stresses a new building may experience.

4. How can thermal stresses be minimized in a new building?

Proper insulation, ventilation, and use of materials with low thermal expansion coefficients can help minimize thermal stresses. Additionally, incorporating expansion joints and flexible building materials can also help alleviate stress on the structure.

5. Can thermal stresses be prevented in a new building?

While it is impossible to completely prevent thermal stresses, proper design and construction techniques can greatly reduce the impact of these stresses on a new building. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the building's temperature and structural health can also help prevent significant damage.