Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This is a really hard brain teaser, guys.

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    Okay, here goes. The first one to figure it out will receive an HTML code in their email address (please give me yours when you answer) that is a virtual pet.:rofl: Good luck!

A man is coming from Switzerland on a train after his successful eye surgery. His eyesight was still poor, so if he had been in a NON-smoking car, he would have died.

How?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2
    Been done before.

The train goes through a tunnel, and the man thought he had gone blind until he saw the glow from the cigarettes of the other passengers.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    errr, the question says it would make him die. i dont see how it can make him die by being in a different cart, he would just think he is blind but not die.

5. Dec 17, 2009 #4
    Eye sugury = successful, so he can read.

But his eyesight was poor?

From Switzerland, so German no smoking is: Rauchen verboten.

I'm supposing this one has to do with anyone who's fluent in Swiss, something along the lines of living is forbidden.

ETA: Because Απαγόρευση του καπνίσματος.

Goodness, I can think of three ways, all of them could be right. This problem has more than one solution. What's your answer?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  6. Dec 30, 2009 #5
    "A man is coming from Switzerland on a train after his successful eye surgery. His eyesight was still poor, so if he had been in a NON-smoking car, he would have died."

using my simple mind, i would conclude it this way...

of course it would be advisable to ride in a train and let other people do the driving than take a "non-smoking car" (which i would take as a generic for travel modes like bicycle, horse - any mode which will require yourself as the driver). If he had a very bad eyesight and drove on his own, --- "he would have died".

:-)

7. Dec 30, 2009 #6
    Halfway home, the smoke irritated his eyes so badly that he got off the train in order to go back to the doctor in Switzerland. The train he had been on left the station and crashed, killing all on board.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook