This Wikipedia article about Scholz's Star doesn't make sense

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the Neanderthal species being able to see Scholz's Star, as mentioned in a Medium article and the Wikipedia page about the star. The Wikipedia article states that the star would have been best viewed from high latitudes in the northern hemisphere, but the conversation raises doubts about whether it would have been visible to the naked eye. The Medium article is not accessible, but there have been past mistakes made by the author. The conversation also mentions a 20-30% uncertainty on the star's distance and brightness, but it would need to be very close in order to be visible. The lead picture in the article is inaccurate and does not relate to the content.
swampwiz
I was reading this article @ Medium, which shows our Neanderthal (3K or so times removed) cousin looking at Scholz's Star:

And then the Wikipedia article about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholz's_Star

which says:

At closest approach the system would have had an apparent magnitude of about 11.4, and would have been best viewed from high latitudes in the northern hemisphere.

Prehistoric folks most certainly did NOT have access to telescopes, and heck, I couldn't even see a magnitude 10 star with my 12X binoculars under perfect dark-sky conditions.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell, the Wiki article isn't saying anything about it actually being naked-eye visible to anyone at the time, but just refers to where in the sky it would have been found if you had the proper equipment to do so.

Janus said:
As far as I can tell, the Wiki article isn't saying anything about it actually being naked-eye visible to anyone at the time, but just refers to where in the sky it would have been found if you had the proper equipment to do so.

It sure looks like the Medium article says it could have been seen by the unaided eye.

I can't see the Medium article, but Ethan Siegal has made mistakes in the past. acknowledged them, but has not corrected the article. I agree with Janus on the Wikipedia article.

There is kind of a 20-30% uncertainty on (present) distance, with a corresponding uncertainty on brightness, but to be visible, it would need to be really, really close. Like a light-month.

The article itself says nothing about it. The lead picture really has nothing to do with the article and was likely added by some editor to "punch up" the piece and didn't know that it was inaccurate.

Likes swampwiz

1. What is Scholz's Star?

Scholz's Star is a red dwarf star located in the constellation of Monoceros. It was discovered in 2013 by Ralf-Dieter Scholz and was found to be the third closest star to our solar system.

2. Why does the Wikipedia article about Scholz's Star not make sense?

It is possible that the article may contain technical or scientific jargon that is difficult to understand for non-experts. Additionally, the article may not be well-written or may contain errors or inconsistencies.

3. How was Scholz's Star discovered?

Scholz's Star was discovered through data collected by the European Space Agency's Gaia satellite. This satellite was designed to map the positions and movements of stars in our galaxy.

4. What makes Scholz's Star unique?

Scholz's Star is unique because it is a red dwarf star that is located relatively close to our solar system. It is also unique because it has a very low mass and is a binary star system, meaning it has a companion star.

5. Can Scholz's Star support life?

No, Scholz's Star is not capable of supporting life as we know it. It is a small, cool star that does not emit much light or heat, making it unsuitable for sustaining life on any potential planets in its system.