Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Thousands of rare documents burned in Egypt clash

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The continued violence in Egypt is a bad sign of things to come, IMO. The loss of life is tragic. And added to the tragedy is the loss of irreplaceable antiquities. This should be a heads up to Egypt's head of antiquities to move these irreplaceable items out of harm's way. There was theft and damage at the main museum during the initial revolt. Until things stabilize, if that's even possible in the near future, it makes no sense not to move them.

http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-rare-documents-burned-egypt-clash-192412805.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Democracy at its finest. Viva la revolucion!

4. Dec 20, 2011 #3
    I know how they must feel. I can't find my notebook.

5. Dec 20, 2011 #4
    One thing to remember, however, is the pride that Egypt takes in possessing it's own artifacts. After the 'sacking' (for lack of a better term) of greater Egypt by colonial powers over a few hundred years, having their artifacts 'home' carry great weight. For all of Mubarak's faults, he definately knew that tourism and the thousands of years of history were important to his country.

If a British or French museum offered to store cultural artifacts in the interim I think there is potential for the gesture to be seen as an insult. How long until the region stabalizes? Years? Decades? If there is any hope of a rebuilt republican Egypt they would probably need tourism to restart in full force and gain international trust as a relatively safe place to visit. Shipping their valubles/breakables to other countries does not help that cause IMO.

6. Dec 20, 2011 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No one said anything about shipping their treasures out of country, but it would be the smartest option. Surely if they don't trust other countries, they have safe underground vaults somewhere? Or even bank vaults? Or a less volatile part of the country?

7. Dec 21, 2011 #6
    Egypt has lost many of its antiques that tell of its great civilization. However, in the process of fighting for democracy, these might be unnecessary concerns. These people are fighting for their freedom. Although it is really a waste, then I think they can rebuild some of these.

8. Dec 21, 2011 #7
    Well, they have pyramids! These must be as secure as military grade bunkers. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook