Three Guys Attempt Record-Breaking Road Trip

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, the three guys driving across the country in an attempt to break a record for traveling through all 48 contiguous states are confident they'll set the new record. The current record is five days and seven hours and the plan is to drive from Vermont all the way south to Florida, up to the Great Lakes and back down to the Southwest before rounding up to Utah. If you're young, single, and have time on your hands, this might be the trip for you.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Road-Trippers Confident They'll Set Record
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90245843
Morning Edition, May 7, 2008 · Three guys are driving across the country in an attempt to break a record for traveling through all 48 contiguous states. The current record is five days and seven hours.

. . . .

The men are driving a Scion xB and by Tuesday morning had hit 27 states, with 21 remaining.

The plan — a route from Vermont all the way south to Florida, up to the Great Lakes and back down to the Southwest before rounding up to Utah . . .

http://greatamericanroadtrip.us/

If you're young, single and have time on your hands . . .

Physics news on Phys.org
If i had the funds and the time i would take a year out to tour the US, i have plenty of internet
mates that share my love of old Britbikes over there, what a year that would be.

I wonder when the previous record was set and what the speed limits were then? Raised speed limits certainly could help. I wonder what they plan for the return trip. I could never do a trip like that...I need to stop for too many potty breaks. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
I wonder when the previous record was set and what the speed limits were then? Raised speed limits certainly could help. I wonder what they plan for the return trip. I could never do a trip like that...I need to stop for too many potty breaks. :rolleyes:

Just use one of those special little bags.

_Muddy_ said:
Just use one of those special little bags.

I'm kind of thinking the guys on this road trip will be spending the week after they return getting the car detailed to get rid of all the odors that a group of guys trapped in a car together for 5 days straight without stops other than for gas can emit (I guess they will fuel the car and empty the bottles at the same time?) :yuck: That, or watch for the car to appear on eBay.

I worked with an engineer from overseas who was visiting the US on behalf of his company. They paid for him to spend several months in the US for training. His family joined him for several weeks. Toward the end of his term, he went on a two week vacation, in which he rented a car with unilimited milage. He then drove around the US and put about 11,000 to 12,000 miles on the car. I would have loved to seen faces on the agents when he returned the car. :rofl:

The website states they'll end up covering 7,500 miles by the end of it. If that's true, with the Scion XB's getting about 28mpg hwy, they'll end up consuming ~268gal of gas and spending almost right at $1,000! Thats assuming an average of $3.75 a gallon, though.

It's sad to think that barely ten years ago the same trip would have cost only ~$300. Even less than that if they were driving, say, an '88 base model Civic hatchback

1. What is the purpose of the "Three Guys Attempt Record-Breaking Road Trip"?

The purpose of the road trip is to break the current world record for the fastest time to travel to all 50 states in the United States.

2. Who are the three guys attempting the road trip?

The three guys are a team of experienced long-distance drivers who have been planning and training for this road trip for months.

3. How long will it take for the team to complete the road trip?

The team plans to complete the road trip in less than 5 days, which is the current record time.

4. What kind of vehicle will the team be using for the road trip?

The team will be using a specially modified car that is designed for long-distance and high-speed driving.

5. How will the team ensure their safety during the road trip?

The team will have a support vehicle following them throughout the trip, and they will also have regular breaks for rest and food. They will also have a detailed route plan and will adhere to all traffic laws and regulations.

Suggested for: Three Guys Attempt Record-Breaking Road Trip

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies