Throwing force in target thrower

  • Thread starter kamil.borkowski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: Well, maybe not full solution. The thing is I need to choose proper spring. I will do it from energy equation, just like You sugested. To do so, I need angular and linear velocity of clay target (which I have) and angular velocity of the arm. And that's the problem, how to calculate ω of the arm. I can't find connection between ω of arm and velocities of clay target. Not to mention, that the friction channel is complicating the case even more, because I don't have an idea how to take...In summary, you need a centrifugal force to throw a target with a certain velocity. You don't know what the force is, but you assume it
  • #1
Hi! I need a help in desiging a target thrower. I can't find a force that is needed in order to throw a target with certain velocity. I assume that it's going to be a centrifugal force, but I can't find a connection with linear movement of target and rotation of an arm. Does anyone have an idea? Here's a picure:

711izk.jpg
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
  • #2
What is r0? I see it in the diagram, but what is it doing there? Is there more than one moving component?
 
  • #3
kamil.borkowski said:
Hi! I need a help in desiging a target thrower. I can't find a force that is needed in order to throw a target with certain velocity. I assume that it's going to be a centrifugal force, but I can't find a connection with linear movement of target and rotation of an arm. Does anyone have an idea? Here's a picure:

711izk.jpg

Welcome to the PF.

Is this for launching clay "pigeons" like in trap shooting? Is it a flat disk or a round ball that you are launching. If it's a flat disk like a clay pigeon, you will want it to roll a ways down the launch blade as the blade is going through its motion. That will give it the spin it needs to fly stably.

Is this a spring-powered launcher? If so, you may be able to do a pretty simple calculation equating the energy stored in the spring when cocked with the final energy of the moving arm and the moving target (linear velocity and energy stored in its rotation)...
 
  • #4
DaveC426913 said:
What is r0? I see it in the diagram, but what is it doing there? Is there more than one moving component?

r0 is a path, that disc has to travel, from it's initial position (V0=0), to the moment when it leaves the arm (V=27)

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Is this for launching clay "pigeons" like in trap shooting? Is it a flat disk or a round ball that you are launching. If it's a flat disk like a clay pigeon, you will want it to roll a ways down the launch blade as the blade is going through its motion. That will give it the spin it needs to fly stably.

Is this a spring-powered launcher? If so, you may be able to do a pretty simple calculation equating the energy stored in the spring when cocked with the final energy of the moving arm and the moving target (linear velocity and energy stored in its rotation)...

Yes, it is a clay launcher/thrower. It is spring-powered. I was thinking about the energy calculations, but I thought that it would leave the aspect of WHEN the target leaves the arm. I want it to leave, when the arm travels about 160°-170°. In energy equation I need also ω of the arm and that's the problem. I can't find proper ω of the arm.
 
  • #5
kamil.borkowski said:
r0 is a path, that disc has to travel, from it's initial position (V0=0), to the moment when it leaves the arm (V=27)
Ohhhh I see. So it follows a spiral path.
 
  • #6
DaveC426913 said:
Ohhhh I see. So it follows a spiral path.

Yes, exactly! I'm using that equation: E=1/2*(m*V^2 + Iω^2 + Iω^2). I know V and ω of disc, but I don't know how to calculate ω of the arm.
 
  • #7
Have you seen how basic clay pigeon launchers work? You tune the launch angle by moving the clay pigeon forward and back in a friction hold channel...
 
  • #8
berkeman said:
Have you seen how basic clay pigeon launchers work? You tune the launch angle by moving the clay pigeon forward and back in a friction hold channel...

Yes, I know, but I have to calculate it somehow (ω of the arm), because I need it to equation of energy.
 
  • #9
For the launchers I've used, it's pretty empirical. Why do you need a full mathematical solution? Are you going to hold the friction holding channel on the launcher to tight tolerances? And the clay pigeons? What accuracy are you shooting for (pun) in the launch angle?
 
  • #10
berkeman said:
For the launchers I've used, it's pretty empirical. Why do you need a full mathematical solution? Are you going to hold the friction holding channel on the launcher to tight tolerances? And the clay pigeons? What accuracy are you shooting for (pun) in the launch angle?

Well, maybe not full solution. The thing is I need to choose proper spring. I will do it from energy equation, just like You sugested. To do so, I need angular and linear velocity of clay target (which I have) and angular velocity of the arm. And that's the problem, how to calculate ω of the arm. I can't find connection between ω of arm and velocities of clay target. Not to mention, that the friction channel is complicating the case even more, because I don't have an idea how to take it to account neither.
 
  • #11
Please Kamil, I don't understand well how the mechanism works. I was trying to know the mechanism at Internet, but I didn't find an scheme of it.If you draw the two positions, the initial and the final position, of the mechanism bars, I think it woul be possible to find out the relations you are looking for.
 
  • #12
BTW, I know it's just a sketch but I'm pretty sure your exit trajectory is way off. The clay pigeon's trajectory will form a parabola, transformed into polar coordinates. So its exit from the launcher should look more like this:
 

Attachments

  • clay-pigeon.png
    clay-pigeon.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Like
Likes berkeman
  • #13
Thanks Dave, I was thinking in other system, and I see the sketch shows the two position.
Kamil, I have not found an easy solution: two second order nonlinear differential equations, which, of course, there would be possible to solve numericaly .
x is the distance target-center of the bar
v es the speed of the target which is the vectorial sum of the two ortogonal vectors: \dot{x} and \dot{α}.x
k is the spring constant

The two differential equations are:

(1). \ddot{α}.(I+m.x)=k.α

(2). \ddot{x}=\dotα2.xSorry i don't know how to write the equations properly. I'll try to solve it.
 
Last edited:
  • #14
Whoa! Thank You guys for so many responces! I made some calculations and it came out, that ω of the arm equals 63,5 [rad/s]. Angle, for which target will leave arm, equals about 60°. You think these are pretty real results? Considering Dave's graph, I think that's a good angle.
 

1. What is throwing force in target thrower?

Throwing force in target thrower refers to the amount of force or energy that is applied to the target when it is thrown. It is an important factor in determining the speed, accuracy, and distance of the throw.

2. How is throwing force measured in target thrower?

Throwing force is typically measured in pounds or Newtons. It can be measured using a force gauge or by calculating the force based on the mass and acceleration of the object being thrown.

3. What factors affect throwing force in target thrower?

The main factors that affect throwing force in target thrower are the weight and shape of the object being thrown, the angle and speed of the throw, and the strength and technique of the person throwing.

4. How can throwing force be increased in target thrower?

Throwing force can be increased by improving technique, increasing muscle strength and power, and using objects with a larger mass. It is important to note that safety should always be a priority when trying to increase throwing force.

5. Why is understanding throwing force important in target thrower?

Understanding throwing force is important because it can help improve accuracy and distance in target throwing activities. It can also help prevent injuries by ensuring that the appropriate amount of force is applied to the target.

Suggested for: Throwing force in target thrower

Replies
6
Views
1K
Replies
11
Views
939
Replies
12
Views
655
Replies
5
Views
62
Replies
4
Views
2K
Replies
14
Views
843
Replies
5
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
1K
Back
Top