Time dependent pertubation theory

In summary: The key part is the summation and the exponential term, which represent the interaction between different energy levels. In summary, the equation is a representation of time-dependent perturbation theory and can be used to find approximate values of expansion coefficients and average values of physical quantities. The V nm term represents the coupling between different energy levels.
Kontilera
Okey, so I´m taking a course in QM and I feel that I got a grip of most of it.
But then we arrive at this formulea [tex]
i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t} c_n(t) = \sum_m \hat{V}_{nm} e^{i\omega_{nm} t}c_m(t),
[/tex] where [tex]
\omega_{nm} \equiv \frac{(E_n - E_m)}{\hbar}.
[/tex]
In other words time dependent pertubation theory. And I just feel confused. I don't know how to start tackle it with my intuition.

What are, in your opinion, the first intuitional things I should remark when it comes to this equation? What does it tell about my physics without having to do some big derivations?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is a consequence of time-dependent Schrodinger equation. It is a rule that the expansion coefficients c_n obey. This equation can be used to find approximate values of c's, and afterwards these can be used to find average values of physical quantities.
Does this help?

I think intuitively Vnm represents scattering channels, a coupling of an m state to an n state in the interaction picture. The bigger the V, the bigger the coupling.

The fact that V nm depends on time is not that important.

1. What is time dependent perturbation theory?

Time dependent perturbation theory is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a system that is subjected to a time-dependent external perturbation. It allows us to analyze the time evolution of a quantum system and calculate how its energy levels and wavefunctions change in the presence of a perturbation.

2. How is time dependent perturbation theory different from time independent perturbation theory?

Time dependent perturbation theory is used when the external perturbation applied to a system changes with time, while time independent perturbation theory is used when the perturbation is constant. In time dependent perturbation theory, the Hamiltonian of the system is time-dependent and cannot be diagonalized, unlike in time independent perturbation theory where the Hamiltonian is time-independent and can be diagonalized.

3. What are the applications of time dependent perturbation theory?

Time dependent perturbation theory is used in various fields of physics, including atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum optics. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, as well as the dynamics of particles in a time-dependent potential.

4. What are the limitations of time dependent perturbation theory?

One limitation of time dependent perturbation theory is that it assumes small perturbations, meaning the perturbation must be much smaller than the unperturbed Hamiltonian. It also assumes that the system is in a stable state and does not consider the effects of non-equilibrium dynamics. Additionally, it may not give accurate results for highly excited states of a system.

5. How is time dependent perturbation theory applied in experimental settings?

In experimental settings, time dependent perturbation theory can be used to analyze the response of a system to a time-varying external field, such as an electromagnetic wave. It can also be used to study the time evolution of quantum systems in the presence of time-dependent interactions, such as in laser-matter interactions or in the study of chemical reactions.