Time travel discussion with Ron Mallet tonight

In summary, Dr. Ron Mallett's research into time travel has been met with controversy and criticism due to the perceived invalidity of his solutions. A discussion on the Physics Forums revealed that his ideas have been questioned for using linear equations to explain a non-linear field.
Physics news on Phys.org
Mallet had a very interesting theory, but it did fizzle.

I saw him give a seminar at my university and I found his ideas to be interesting...

can someone provide more details on how his ideas fizzled?

I already watched it next week.

ptabor said:
I saw him give a seminar at my university and I found his ideas to be interesting...

can someone provide more details on how his ideas fizzled?

I didn't read everything in the thread linked, but from a previous discussion, my understanding is that he used linear equations to describe a non-linear field.

1. What is the concept of time travel?

Time travel is the theoretical idea of moving between different points in time, either into the past or the future. It is often explored in science fiction but is not currently possible with our current understanding of physics.

2. Who is Ron Mallet?

Ron Mallet is a theoretical physicist and professor at the University of Connecticut. He is best known for his work on theoretical time travel and his book "Time Traveler: A Scientist's Personal Mission to Make Time Travel a Reality."

3. What is Ron Mallet's theory of time travel?

Ron Mallet's theory involves using intense laser light to create a circulating beam of light that would twist the fabric of space-time, allowing for time travel. He believes that this method could potentially send information and, eventually, objects back in time.

4. Has Ron Mallet's theory been tested or proven?

No, Ron Mallet's theory has not been tested or proven. It is still a theoretical concept and has not been tested in a controlled experiment. Many scientists believe that his theory is not feasible with our current understanding of physics.

5. Is time travel possible?

At this time, time travel is not possible with our current understanding of physics. While there are some theories and ideas about how it could potentially work, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of time travel. It is still a topic of research and debate among scientists.