1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Timing issues between two job options

  1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    I have third (and final) round of interviews scheduled for next week with Qualcomm. The Qualcomm job is full-time, and in Colorado. In short, it's my dream job.

    Medtronic has been calling me and asking if I am interested in a job opportunity there, a contractor position which is less desirable, but 100% attainable if I want it.

    Now I am in a position where I would like to see through this Qualcomm opportunity before making a decision with medtronic. However, I don't want to burn any bridges by making them feel like a "second string" option. I feel that I have legitimate reasons for wanting the Qualcomm job first - it is full time and I need health insurance benefits, and would enjoy the job security.

    How can I prolong the Medtronic talks long enough to get closure with Qualcomm? Should I be honest with Medtronic about my situation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2
    You are dealing with business people, their "feelings" aren't going to matter much. If you turn down the position, then they'll find someone else.

    Absolutely. Let them know that you can't respond since you have another round of interviews, and you have to wait for an answer before you make a decision. Also, if you would prefer a permanent position, let Medtronic know that.

    It's also important that you let Qualcomm know that you've are talking to Medtronic, and so you'd like a decision as quickly as possible,

    People are weird. If people know someone else is interested in you that makes you more interesting.
  4. Jun 30, 2011 #3
    twofish-quant gives really, really good advice. Listen to him or her.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook