Titration of NaOH and C2H204 using phenolphthalein

• Thread starter Apost8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, titration is an accurate way to determine the end-point of a reaction, but is not always reliable.
Apost8
The other day, we performed a simple titration of NaOH and C2H204 using phenolphthalein as our pH indicator. I performed 3 trials and I calculated % error from .5 to 2%. What is the proper way of determining the end-point? How pink should the titrant be before you stop adding? This method doesn't seem to be an incredibly accurate way of determing the end-point of a reaction.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution, before titration, is colourless. This means that when you hold it up to your white tile (you were using a white tile, right? :biggrin:) you will see white. You should titrate the two until you see a very slight pink ting, check using your tile. Once you can see the solution is pink, using your tile, then the reaction has finished and this is the end-point.

It is a common way to do it at schools and colleges. The idea is that it allows a good evalution for pupils and allows errors that would allow the correct answer to be obtained.

I personally avoided titrating anything as much as possible. The accuracy, which is your problem, was never resolved for myself.

Cheers,

The Bob (2004 ©)

In short: stop at first traces of pink :)

Perhaps clarification is in order. As you titrate, the base will cause little clouds of pink that clear very quickly at first, then more and more slowly. At the point where you notice that the pink is clearing slowly, add the base one drop at a time until the pink does not entirely clear. That is your end-point.

Thanks all for your advice. The % error I calculated for my experiment was within the margin given to us by our prof, so I guess I did it correctly. I guess I was just a little surprised at how much room for error there is. There were people in the lab who had to do 4 or 5 trials before they got their % error to within the established margin. Luckily I avoided that and went home early :)

1. What is the purpose of using phenolphthalein in the titration of NaOH and C2H204?

The purpose of using phenolphthalein is to act as an indicator, which changes color at a specific pH. This is important in the titration process as it helps to determine the endpoint of the reaction.

2. How do you know when the endpoint has been reached in the titration?

The endpoint is reached when the solution changes color from colorless to pink. This indicates that all of the C2H204 has reacted with the NaOH and the reaction is complete.

3. What is the equation for the reaction between NaOH and C2H204?

The equation for the reaction is: 2NaOH + C2H204 → Na2C204 + 2H2O

4. How do you calculate the concentration of the NaOH solution from the titration data?

To calculate the concentration of the NaOH solution, you will need to use the following equation: M1V1 = M2V2. M1 represents the concentration of NaOH, V1 represents the volume of NaOH used, M2 represents the concentration of C2H204, and V2 represents the volume of C2H204 used.

5. Why is it important to perform multiple trials in a titration experiment?

Performing multiple trials in a titration experiment helps to ensure accuracy and precision in the results. It also allows for any errors or anomalies in the data to be identified and corrected, resulting in more reliable and valid conclusions.