1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To do an honours program or not?

1. Dec 26, 2007 #1
    Hi all, I just finished the first semester of my second year. I'm doing a physics & astronomy combined degree (and probably a math minor), and I'm trying to decide if I should enter the honours program or not.

My hesitation is this: to be/stay in the honours program, I have to take 5 courses/semester until I graduate. For instance, next semester I have 5 courses and 4 labs. I think this is manageable because it's still lower level stuff, but I'm worried it will be too hard taking 5 courses in upper level.

I'm not sure if I want to go to grad school or not, but I'd like to keep my options open. So the thing is, with an honours degree I'd probably have a lower GPA than just a major... but I don't know what the tipping point is such that the lower GPA honours degree will be worth more than a high GPA normal degree?

If it matters, I am also doing co-op.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Edit: I'll mention this semester I did 4 courses, and 2.5 labs (hard to explain), and that was not too intensive. But again this stuff I'm sure is much less work than upper level courses/labs...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2007 #2
    honours are nice but publication is nicer

4. Dec 26, 2007 #3
    You seem to be doing all the right things, Co-ops, keeping a reasonable work load, double major with minor. Now I will tell you this from an engineering perspective. I know alot of kids that did an honors program that basically became a project that dragged on for four years and everyone ended up dreading towards the end. I never joined, I just got good grades and worked (and that seems what you are doing too). Look at what you are going to get out of this program vs. how much work it will take. Ignore the title of having 'honors course' next to your transcript. If you can honestly say its worth the time and effort, then go for it. But DONT take it just because it will say 'honors' on your resume.

5. Dec 26, 2007 #4
    That makes a lot of sense. How do I know how much I'm going to get out of it though? My main reason for doing it is to hopefully improve my chances of attending grad school if I decide to apply. Basically I'd like to do my best to keep my options open. It's hard making decisions when I feel like I don't have all the info!

6. Dec 27, 2007 #5
    Bump for more input please.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?