To Get Academic Qualifications In Physics Which Degree Would Be Better

In summary, Bill plans to take the equivalent of a full-time course load in physics, in addition to self-study, in order to receive a formal degree in physics. However, because he completed a degree in mathematics many years ago, he will have to take additional math courses in order to have the equivalent of a full course load. Additionally, because he is interested in pursuing a graduate degree in physics, he is advised to consider taking a course in physics preparatory subject, Physics: from classical to quantum.
Hi All

As most of you probably know I am not formally qualified in physics - but math and computer science - my physics is self taught.

I thought I might rectify that and do an appropriate degree by distance learning - with my arthritis and now broken Femur going to actual classes would be a drag so I decided on distance education. There was nothing decent here in Australia - our Open Learning is more oriented to vocational areas like computer science so I had a look at the University of Open Learning in the UK. The following degree in Math/Physics looked suitable:
http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/q77?
So I enrolled thinking I would get credit for my math degree. But drat's - it was completed in 1982 and they only accept credit for subjects done in the last 16 years. But they did say for students with strong math backgrounds I can double up on math courses - I still need to pass the exam but can take two at a time instead of the usual one because for me its mostly revision. I thought OK - I will go ahead on that basis and enrolled.

But I have been looking at the math degree:
http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/q31?
I has a good range of actual physics subjects third year - I would take:
Deterministic and stochastic dynamics
Electromagnetism
Mathematical methods and fluid mechanics
The quantum world

Its actually the same as I would take in the Math/Physics degree. But with more math I could go through it faster. The con of course is I do not do the physics preparatory subject:
Physics: from classical to quantum

I am not sure I really need it with my self study, they have only math subjects as a real must have, but the university does recommend it.

I could say more but I think that's enough to start the discussion. So its over to whoever wants to reply.

Thanks
Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
There is something I don't get. If what you want is a formal recognition of competence in physics, why would completing a degree in mathematics give you that?

If you don't care about the title of the degree, why take a degree at all? Why not simply complete a few courses in physics?

Likes bhobba
Interesting idea. They have what is called a user designed degree. I could do that and just take what I need or am interested in..

I might talk to my adviser about that.

Thanks
Bill

Qualifications in Physics would merely be the few core courses and others of your choice from the field, which could then be shown on your transcripts and possibly verified by whoever oversaw your "work", and maybe any field focused examinations you can pass.

OK here is what I have worked out with them. I can finish all the math required to start the Physics in a year - horrid I have to do it again. The best they can do is accelerate me through the math despite the fact I got 100% on the quiz are you ready for the subject. I even got a past exam paper on QM and could do all the questions - except one - but overnight I cognated on it and it came to me - the answer must be real so all the imaginary terms went away and I got the correct answer - zero. Then get onto the really interesting subjects a year later, then onto a Masters which of course is what I am really interested in. I am retired with all the time in the world, but it still is annoying.

I decided on the math physics degree - can get into the physics faster. I am going through Boaz to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is the best degree to pursue for academic qualifications in physics?

The best degree to pursue for academic qualifications in physics is a Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Physics. This degree provides a comprehensive foundation in the fundamental principles and theories of physics, as well as hands-on laboratory experience. It is also a prerequisite for most graduate programs in physics.

2. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in physics for academic qualifications?

While a graduate degree in physics is not necessary for all career paths, it is highly recommended for those seeking academic qualifications in the field. A Master of Science (MSc) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Physics can provide advanced knowledge and research experience, making you a more competitive candidate for academic positions.

3. Can I pursue a degree in a related field and still have academic qualifications in physics?

Yes, it is possible to have academic qualifications in physics through a degree in a related field such as engineering or mathematics. However, it is important to ensure that the program includes a strong foundation in physics courses and laboratory experience. It may also be necessary to take additional physics courses to meet the requirements for academic qualifications.

4. How long does it take to complete a degree in physics for academic qualifications?

The length of time to complete a degree in physics for academic qualifications can vary depending on the program and your individual circumstances. A Bachelor's degree typically takes 4 years to complete, while a Master's degree can take 2-3 years and a PhD can take 5-7 years. Part-time and online options may also be available, which can extend the length of time to complete the degree.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from pursuing a degree in physics for academic qualifications?

A degree in physics for academic qualifications will provide you with a broad range of skills and knowledge, including critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical reasoning, and mathematical and computational skills. You will also gain a deep understanding of the fundamental principles and theories of physics, as well as hands-on experience with laboratory techniques and equipment.