Say Hi to Space in 24 Hours: Hover in a Helicopter

• Thread starter perfectz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: Now imagine you are a Ping-Pong ball on a rotating platform, and you jump up. You will continue to rotate about the point of your jump until the Earth catches up to you (approximately 24 hours).
perfectz
To space in 24 hours...

If I were to hover in a helicopter for 24 hours by some means or the other, won't I be able to say Hi to space.
Because of the Earth's revolution, and because I have overcome gravitational pull, won't I be able to enter space?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I assume you mean if you hover off the ground shouldn't the ground rotate under you and so you travel sideways.
Unfortunately not - the helicopter (and you and the air) is already being pushed sideways at 900mph by the rotating earth, when you hover you keep this componnet of the force.
Imagine you are on a train doing 100mph, if you jump in the air you do not suddenly go 100mph toward the back of the train.

Helicopters only work in air (and only relatively dense low altitude air) otherwise you could go stright up into space, it's only about 60miles above you! But because you still have the horizontal motion from the Earth that you had on the ground you would still be rotating over the same point on earth.

mgb_phys said:
Imagine you are on a train doing 100mph, if you jump in the air you do not suddenly go 100mph toward the back of the train.

So then It'll take more than 24 hours to reach space that way?

Not sure what you mean.
I'm saying that stepping off the Earth and waiting for the earht to go past you is exacly the same as launching a rocket. It takes the same energy and same time.

I know that It's an impossible thing to just hover and move from one place to another.
I just wanted a valid explanation.
If I jump really high from a moving train running with a velocity of 100 mph, WILL I NOT MOVE BACKWARD FOR AT LEAST SOME DISTANCE?

perfectz said:
If I jump really high from a moving train running with a velocity of 100 mph, WILL I NOT MOVE BACKWARD FOR AT LEAST SOME DISTANCE?
No - ignoring air resistance.

You have to think about all the forces involved, on a train you are being pushed along sideways at 100mph, if you jump up you are actually jumping up at a few mph and sideways at 100mph.

...and ignoring the coriolis force. But for simplicity, let's just say you can play ping pong on a train and you won't have to care that it is moving. That's the principle of relativity.

If you have a ball (representing Earth) spinning in a pool, you can observe at water level a rotating layer - comparatively as thick as the Earth's atmosphere - just outside the ball's surface. Think of the Earth as maintaining its spin due to tremendous initial momentum which it has transferred (in small part) by friction to its atmosphere over billions of years. Thus the atmosphere, largely, and anything within it move along relative to the Earth.

1. What is "Say Hi to Space in 24 Hours: Hover in a Helicopter" all about?

"Say Hi to Space in 24 Hours: Hover in a Helicopter" is an exciting new experience that allows individuals to hover in a helicopter and get a unique view of space.

2. How is this experience possible?

This experience is made possible by advanced technology that allows the helicopter to reach high altitudes and hover in place for extended periods of time.

3. What kind of training is required for this experience?

Participants will undergo a comprehensive training session with experienced pilots to ensure their safety and understanding of the experience.

4. Is this experience safe?

Yes, the safety of our participants is our top priority. Our pilots are highly trained and experienced, and all necessary safety precautions are taken before and during the flight.

5. How can I book this experience?

You can book "Say Hi to Space in 24 Hours: Hover in a Helicopter" through our website or by contacting our customer service team. Availability may vary, so it is recommended to book in advance.