Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #4,901
berkeman said:
TIL that Red Bull really is red!

View attachment 320436
Pretty certain it's not that colour in the UK. More Whiskey coloured?

Likes Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,902
pinball1970 said:
Pretty certain it's not that colour in the UK. More Whiskey coloured?
That's what I thought too. The stuff is revolting, so I don't have any at hand to check, though.

Wikipedia notes that there are different variants with different colours, and I found a reference on Quora to a "European formulation", so (modulo your trust in random Quora posters) that might be it.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
  • #4,903
I never wondered about that Red Bull color thing and now it's driving me nuts. Here it is, directly out of the can:

original-red-bull.jpg

I also found this picture:

red-red-bull.jpg

But obviously, this is a special flavor of Red Bull.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
  • #4,904
Red Bull is not universally red. My memory serves me well on this plus I checked with a very reliable source, a Mancunian bar maid.
I cannot paste images on this device but if you Google you will find it Is not red. It is lager coloured.

• #4,905
pinball1970 said:
Red Bull is not universally red. My memory serves me well on this plus I checked with a very reliable source, a Mancunian bar maid.
I cannot paste images on this device but if you Google you will find it Is not red. It is lager coloured.

I had to look up Mancunian because I had no idea what a Mancunian bar maid is. :-p

Well, that was disappointing!

TIL the meaning of Mancunian.

Likes pinball1970
  • #4,906
Likes DaveE
  • #4,907
TIL that once your package is on an Amazon truck for delivery, you can actually see where the truck is and how many stops before it gets to your house. :wideeyed:

• Informative
Likes scottdave and berkeman
  • #4,908
Borg said:
TIL that once your package is on an Amazon truck for delivery, you can actually see where the truck is and how many stops before it gets to your house. :wideeyed:

Amazon is amazing. I often have what I ordered at my door within a few hours of ordering it. It probably helps that I live near a major distribution center, but it is still impressive.

• #4,909
Ivan Seeking said:
Amazon is amazing. I often have what I ordered at my door within a few hours of ordering it. It probably helps that I live near a major distribution center, but it is still impressive.
They do public tours of their distribution centers (or at least some of them). A colleague went on one - apparently the warehouse is automated with little robots that lift and carry and reshuffle the shelving units, so the staff pretty much just stand there and always have the shelf they need right in front of them. They just pick the thing off, drop it in a box and post it.

• #4,910
40c716d0-9366-11ed-87ad-4f8bbb0a2223.jpg

Transgender men can get pregnant. Here's what they wish more people understood.

When Danny Wakefield gave birth to their first child in 2020, it brought to light a string of issues faced by transgender parents in the health care system.

“I had a really hard pregnancy,” Wakefield, 36, who is transgender but also uses they/them pronouns, tells Yahoo Life. During emergency room visits, Wakefield says they were met with “snickers” from nurses, as well as “doubt, disbelief and a lack of knowledge” from physicians ill-equipped to handle their needs.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/transgender-men-can-get-pregnant-174513259.html

• Skeptical
Likes hmmm27 and BillTre
  • #4,911
What, so insisting that you are in no way a woman but definitely pregnant causes medical staff to wonder if your answers to their questions might be worthless because you are deliberately obfuscating the biology that they actually need to know about in order to care for you?

Who knew.

Likes russ_watters, 256bits, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
  • #4,912
Ibix said:
They do public tours of their distribution centers (or at least some of them). A colleague went on one - apparently the warehouse is automated with little robots that lift and carry and reshuffle the shelving units, so the staff pretty much just stand there and always have the shelf they need right in front of them. They just pick the thing off, drop it in a box and post it.
Indeed! I've been to one as well. The company I work for now has played a major role in all of that. It was the business that just kept giving and giving. Just now for the first time in years we didn't renew the robot contract. Amazon overbuilt.

Likes Ibix
  • #4,913
TIL that there is a live webcam from the International Space Station.

The live camera moves too slowly to be exciting but the past 12 hours are available. All sorts of cool things may be in there.

I try to identify the locations on Earth but fail. The area shown appears large but is too small for that.

Likes collinsmark, Ibix and berkeman
  • #4,914
Hornbein said:
I try to identify the locations on Earth but fail. The area shown appears large but is too small for that.
You can use this link from the HeavensAbove web site to see where the ISS is currently located. It's a static image but you can refresh the page to get a current location.
http://www.heavens-above.com/orbitdisplay.aspx?icon=iss&width=300&height=300&satid=25544

It will look something like this:
ISS.jpg

HeavensAbove is a great site for tracking visible satellites. You can put in your location and get predictions of when satellites are passing over you. The Iridium flares are especially interesting since they get quite bright from being completely dark.

• Informative
Likes collinsmark and pinball1970
  • #4,915
Ibix said:
What, so insisting that you are in no way a woman but definitely pregnant causes medical staff to wonder if your answers to their questions might be worthless because you are deliberately obfuscating the biology that they actually need to know about in order to care for you?

Who knew.
Probably a non-issue, like so many of the news stories about this side of the human gender fiasco.
The person would have to have a uterus, and so getting pregnant is what - a news story.

some non transgender women suffer at times the same disbelief of a pregnancy - not a news story.

Likes Ibix
  • #4,917
Ibix said:
They do public tours of their distribution centers (or at least some of them)....
There is a center not far from me. I wonder how to schedule a tour. I'm going to do some research.

Likes Ibix
  • #4,918
Buzz Aldrin is 93 today. He just married his "longtime love" Dr. Anca Faur.

Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 10.18.19 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
  • Wow
Likes russ_watters, Hornbein, sbrothy and 2 others
  • #4,919
TIL that the language "AI" ChatGPT, perhaps not surprising, is pretty good at spewing technobabble:

"[...] We find that it is effective at paraphrasing and explaining concepts in a variety of styles, but not at genuinely connecting concepts. It will provide false information with full confidence and make up statements when necessary. [...]" -- https://arxiv.org/abs/2301.08155

Admittedly I didn't read the paper and the above quote is taken out of context (For comedic value. YMMV.) There may well be something of value here but at first glance it sure sounds like they made a crank-bot.

Some of the humor is lost when you read some of the more serious discussions here about whether it can pass exams though. Still, GPT-3 is impressive but maybe they need a math-bot to go with it. :)

EDIT:

In fact, if you read the text under the heading “jailbreaks” in the first link I’m not sure it’s funny at all. So it goes.

Last edited:
  • #4,920
TIL the largest known landslide was when Oahu exploded a 1.25 million years ago. "Blocks the size of Manhattan Island."

• #4,921
sbrothy said:
TIL that the language "AI" ChatGPT, perhaps not surprising, is pretty good at spewing technobabble:

"[...] We find that it is effective at paraphrasing and explaining concepts in a variety of styles, but not at genuinely connecting concepts. It will provide false information with full confidence and make up statements when necessary. [...]" -- https://arxiv.org/abs/2301.08155

Admittedly I didn't read the paper and the above quote is taken out of context (For comedic value. YMMV.) There may well be something of value here but at first glance it sure sounds like they made a crank-bot.

Some of the humor is lost when you read some of the more serious discussions here about whether it can pass exams though. Still, GPT-3 is impressive but maybe they need a math-bot to go with it. :)

EDIT:

In fact, if you read the text under the heading “jailbreaks” in the first link I’m not sure it’s funny at all. So it goes.
Essentially, what it is trying to do is write something like you might expect a human to write as a follow up to the prompt based on the examples it has.

The crucial point is that this means it isn't trying to get the "correct" answer. And if it were to be trained with technobabble (it probably is) along with real scientific source material, then it might be difficult for it to know the difference sometimes. Similarly, it may be trained based on things written by crackpots or popular science articles and things like that. If your prompt resembles a question that has a lot of bad answers in the training data, then it will do a good job (according to its "goal") by giving you a bad answer.

Assuming it is trained really really well with such an assortment of sources (so that it could delineate what kind of answer to give perfectly), then still which kind of answer will depend, perhaps subtly, on the prompt.

It already can successfully take some cues about style really well. You might try something like "Explain <x>, accurately, at the research level, in the style of Albert Einstein, using mathematics, and format your answer in latex." or something like that, and it may do better.

In the long run, it might help to have some settings which automatically insert optimal cues for getting the best answers to scientific questions. It might help as well, if the the goal is writing scientific articles, to train it or fine tune it purely with text books and research articles.

But to really make sure it gives accurate answers in science and math, you may need to dedicate a lot of qualified human effort to "grade" its answers to help train it.

Likes WernerQH
  • #4,922
TIL of artificial gecko skin. A lot better than suction or stickiness.

• #4,923
TIL about the longest crewed flight - over 64 days set in 1959!

The aviation record that refuses to fall

Midair refueling didn't exist for a Cessna so they had to invent their own version which was a bit tricky at night.
CessnaRefueling.jpg

• Wow
Likes Astronuc, OmCheeto, scottdave and 7 others
  • #4,924
"The Secret Guide to Innovation: Discover what gets you excited about tomorrow! Get excited about doing it! Do it!" - Futurist Jim Carroll

• #4,925
TIL that the AMA rules for Supercross racing say that if a race is red flagged after at least 3 laps and less than 90% finished, that there will be a restart in-line in the order of the racers at the red flag. I've never seen a restart like this in Supercross or Motocross. Thankfully it went well, but you could see every one of the racers after the leader in the restart pulling a goggle tearoff after the first turn... :smile:

Supercross Red Flag Restart.jpg

Likes dlgoff
  • #4,926
  • #4,927
dlgoff said:
Do I see you in there berkeman?
I'm the guy off to the side in the Alpinstars Medical Crew uniform... :wink:

Likes dlgoff
  • #4,928
TIL that hobbyists use something called "static grass" to add realistic looking grass to their models. There are companies that sell this product along with electrostatic applicators. Some people prefer to DIY the applicator, though.

Likes dlgoff and BillTre
  • #4,929
TIL that Isaac Newton observed the Magnus Effect. He wrote
I had often seen a Tennis ball, struck with an oblique Racket, describe such a curve line. For, a circular as well as progressive motion being communicated to it by that stroke, its parts on that size, where the motions conspire, must press and beat the contiguous Air more violently than on the other, there excite a reluctancy and reaction of the Air proportionably greater.

A good explanation, for 1672. He then experimented to see whether light showed a Magnus Effect.

I also learned that the Philosophical Transactions Of The Royal Society in which he published are not only all on line, they are still being published. The most recent issue is about sociology and while I have yet to read it it appears most enticing.

Finally I learned that my area of Indonesia is blocked from editing Wikipedia. (Their reference to the Philosophical Transactions has volume 7 instead of 6.) Whatever. It'll just stay wrong then.

Likes dlgoff
  • #4,930
Ibix said:

Who knew.
Trans people are generally quite aware of what is biology and what is appearance. There's no obfuscation of the biology here - on the contrary, Wakefield is (metaphorically) screaming at the top of his lungs that his medical providers should be paying attention to the biology not the appearance. Note also that Wakefield does not use masculine pronouns, a really big hint to anyone who is paying attention that they should be careful about making assumptions.

As I read this story, Wakefield's experience is different only in degree from the experience many women report with auto repair shops.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes russ_watters and DaveE
  • #4,931
8B87791B-3438-4F88-ADD5-5F49E466A9D6.jpeg

This classical chocolate box design which scarcely changed in 90 years will be instantly recognised by everyone, in Britain at least.

Today I learned that the man majorly responsible for it was known to me for something completely different – he was the novelist Nigel Balchin. I had not known anything of him except from reading and enjoying several of his novels a very long time ago.

So I thought I would say TIL... But anything I said seemed to call in its turn for explanation, and it expanded. And so wasn't suitable for TIL where items drop out of sight pretty fast. So I just posted it in the History section. Where items are perhaps not seen in the first place by many people. So I am mentioning it here too! The subject is quite a lot relevant to the practice and history of Science.

• #4,933
Today I learned of the K-Max helicopter with crossing rotors.

• Wow
Likes scottdave, DaveE, Ivan Seeking and 2 others
  • #4,934
Charlie Kaman was a true genius.

I used to watch his helicopters test fly over the potato fields across from the CE offices in Windsor, CT

• #4,935
TIL a miniature solar system was discovered in 2017.
The orbital year of each planet is between 1.5 and 19 Earth days. How cute!

With so many small planets so close together moving at high speed the system is much more chaotic than ours. That is, in both systems very small differences eventually magnify into big differences, but while in ours it's a million years for a difference to show in TRAPPIST it's more like twenty years. While the system may be unpredictable, this has been going on for billions of years so it seems stable enough.

It has the smallest and dimmest sun known though surely there are plenty more like it, they are just too dim to be seen easily. TRAP is only forty light years away, that's how it was found. The sun burns so slowly this is expected to continue for another ten trillion years. Is that an aeon?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...he-orbits-of-trappist-system-planets.1048977/