Today is Norway's Constitution Day

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, the Norwegian people celebrate Constitution Day to honor the day their constitution was signed.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Today, Norwegians celebrate the day our constitution was signed, May 17th 1814.

A welcome sight are the many Children's Parades across the country, here's a photo from the main event in OSlo.

The Children's Parade in Oslo winds it way up our main street to the Royal Palace, where the Royal Family greets their people from the balcony:

[URL]http://14augustkomiteen.no/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Barnetog-karl-Johan1.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the Norwegian people, that picture reminds me of a sardine tin :smile:

wolram said:
Congratulations to the Norwegian people,
Thanks!
that picture reminds me of a sardine tin :smile:
Oh, it can be worse, much worse:
My Dad's worst childhood memory was 17th of May 1945, just 9 days after Liberation Day.
He was just 7, got separated from his parents, and nearly trampled to death by the festive, tightly packed crowd...

We were first - Constitution of May 3, 1791 :smile:

Still, celebration is a celebration! Best wishes for inhabitants of the most expensive country I ever visited :tongue2:

Borek said:
We were first - Constitution of May 3, 1791 :smile:

Still, celebration is a celebration! Best wishes for inhabitants of the most expensive country I ever visited :tongue2:
Not a single polish nobleman vetoing that resolution?

I thought that was how Poland was ungoverned throughout the centuries..

arildno said:
Not a single polish nobleman vetoing that resolution?

It passed thanks to secretly moving voting to earlier date and not allowing part of the opposition to enter the Royal Castle. In 1791 Liberum veto was in practice out of use, there was some legal trick used to make it impossible. Sorry, my historical knowledge is rather weak.

I thought that was how Poland was ungoverned throughout the centuries..

Oh come on, there really is no need for Polish jokes in this thread, it is about Norway after all.

There is no doubt we wasted a strong country, but whether liberum veto was one of the main reasons is disputed.

Anyway, hope you Poles have made a celebration of your own Constitution Day; from what I read, that document is well worth remembering, as an enlightened reformation of a rather chaotic past, and a moment for justified national pride throughout the difficult history Poland has had from 1792 to quite recently.

:smile:

Hey! How come we don't celebrate our constitution here in the U.S.? We need something considering how little most of our citizens (and some lawmakers) actually know about it.

1. What is Norway's Constitution Day?

Norway's Constitution Day, also known as Norwegian National Day or simply 17th of May, is a national holiday in Norway that celebrates the signing of the Norwegian Constitution on May 17, 1814. It is a day of national pride and patriotism, as well as a time for family gatherings and festivities.

2. Why is Norway's Constitution Day celebrated on May 17th?

May 17th was chosen as Norway's Constitution Day because it marks the day when the Norwegian Constitution was signed into effect in 1814. This event was significant because it marked the end of Norway's union with Denmark and the start of its independence as a sovereign nation.

3. How do Norwegians celebrate their Constitution Day?

Norwegians celebrate their Constitution Day with parades, flag-waving, traditional costumes, and lots of food and drink. In Oslo, the capital city, there is a large parade featuring schoolchildren, marching bands, and military units. Families also gather for outdoor barbecues and picnics, and children often participate in games and activities.

4. Are there any traditions associated with Norway's Constitution Day?

Yes, there are several traditions associated with Norway's Constitution Day. One of the most notable is the wearing of traditional Norwegian costumes, known as bunads. These are typically worn by both men and women and vary in style depending on the region of the country. Another tradition is the eating of a traditional dish called "rømmegrøt," a type of porridge made with sour cream and served with butter, sugar, and cinnamon.

5. Is Norway's Constitution Day a public holiday?

Yes, Norway's Constitution Day is a public holiday, meaning that most businesses and schools are closed for the day. It is a time for Norwegians to come together and celebrate their country's history and heritage. The only exceptions are essential services such as hospitals and public transportation, which remain open to serve the public.