1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tool for Creating Calculus Expressions

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    I read the forum rules regarding posting strictly in the format laid out; I hope this is a legitimate post. Thanks for understanding!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As a Calculus II student in high school, I have been in increasing need of a means to create calculus expressions that can be emailed or manipulated digitally.

Would any of you experienced forum members have any suggestions for me?

2. Relevant equations

Free, online or downloadable, calculus expression-maker tool.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've searched online for Latex editors, as I've heard that these are used for this purpose. However, I was unable to find a free solution. I've tried to scan handwritten expressions, but this process takes too long and the resulting JPG is hard to manage once I get it onto the computer.

I also thought of Wolfram Alpha, but was unable to use it to make custom expressions.

P.S. I just noticed your "Quick Symbols" box; what tool is this based on?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2
    Really? I use TeXShop, which is free. I think it only works on Macs, but I think there is an equivalent for machines running Windows. Look here: http://www.ctan.org/starter.html and here: http://www.tug.org/interest.html#free.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Nov 21, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The symbols in these forums are based on TeX. There are many versions of TeX, some including editors. You might try LyX. Just google it. Another option is Miktex.

5. Nov 22, 2011 #4
    Thanks, guys!

The links spamiam provided helped me understand what TeX and LaTex are - something I didn't know before. I followed LCKurtz's advice and googled Lyx. I'm downloading it now from Lyx.org as it seems to be exactly what I want - an easy-to-understand processor similar to Word except it is free and designed to handle mathematical expressions and other complex typesetting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook