Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topological properties on Linear spaces

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    Is it reasonable to work with a linear space whose subspaces are considered as open subsets of the linear space when the linear space is considered as a topological Space? Actually, this linear space is spanned by a topological space with known topology.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2
    The subspaces of a vector space do not form a topology because they do not satisfy the axioms of a topological space: The empty set is not a subspace (subspaces have to contain 0) and the union of subspaces is not a subspace in general.

You may want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topological_vector_space" [Broken] which describes the topologies one usually considers on a vector space.

Somewhat related to your idea is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zariski_topology" [Broken], where the closed sets are the zero sets of a system of polynomials (vector subspaces are a special case).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Mar 18, 2009 #3
    can't we make a linear space a topological space by construction, since we know that every non empty set can be made a topological space. ofcourse a linear space can never be empty for it contain the zero vector. Please still consider my question above, because i am really working on it

5. Mar 18, 2009 #4
    There are many ways in which a vector space can be equiped with a topology, I was just saying that your particular choice of open sets would not work. Of course one can choose a topology where the subspaces are open sets, for example the topology of all subsets, but this is not a very interesting topology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook