Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque caused by/due to a galaxy's spin

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    Well today in class, we were talking about galaxies and orbits and the radius of black holese and how every black hole is at the center of a galaxy. Then i got to thinking, what causes the spin of a galaxy, and this led me to thinking, is there a way to find out the torque of a spinning galaxy? I'm sure it would have to do with force and angular momentum of each galaxy, but I couldn't seem to find any of this information.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    Torque is about the transfer of angular momentum per unit time. Gravitational waves can cause distant objects to move in different paths. Theoretically, galaxies can produce a torque on each other, especially if they collide. There's a star escaping our galaxy right now because it has swung very close to a black hole. That's an extreme example of the galaxy's torque in action.

A galaxy doesn't have any torque in of itself. Parts of our galaxy interact with parts of other galaxies, transferring parts of spin as result of their palpitations. They cause pressures waves like jellyfish in the sea.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?