Troubles applying for US PhD after Cam Part III

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Stan Marsh
  • Start date
Hello everyone,
I have just got admitted by Part III at Cambridge. This is a great program so I probably will go there.
One thing concerns me is the troubles applying to US college PhD after finishing Part III. Since all Part III exam results come out around June, and deadlines in applying for US PhD are mostly Jan or Dec the year before, it seems one cannot use his/her Part III performance. This may cause great trouble for the admission to evaluate your materials.
What's more, I have heard that instructors usually do not write the recommendations for you until the Part III math results is out (if you are an international student). That's another big problem.

If anyone knows anything about this, please tell me about it. Really appreciate your help!

Answers and Replies

This is usually the problem with 1 year masters. Most of the students in Part III are those who did their UG in Cambridge, so getting a letter will be easy, but for internationals it is quite hard. If I were you, I will look for some RA kind of job (don't know if it is possible for Physics) or take an year off and spend time with family!