turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
There is a radio station (93.5) that has been flipping around like a fish on a deck for the last couple of years, trying to come up with a winning format. Today I checked it and found it had become a True Oldies affiliate. No local talent, etc - just a remotely-programmed channel like so many others. The nice thing is that except for a few forays into the '70s, the music is almost all from the '60s or the late '50s, and it's pretty non-stop. It's like listening to the radio in my old man's Impala when I got my license. Simon and Garfunkel, The Spinners, The Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, Everly Brothers, Orbison, Beatles, and on and on. Once in a while, they throw in something early '70s stuff by the Eagles, John Lennon, Wings, etc, but it's predominantly a '60s mix. Pretty nice background stuff.
Anyway, the reason I bothered mentioning it: I was introduced to talk-radio and audio books when they were still something obscure, but my Grandfather just randomly gave me a copy of 'Farewell My Lovely.' and, 'The Maltese Falcon', and a couple cassettes of The Green Hornet. I was hooked... sometimes those formative experiences set our tastes for life. My tastes in music followed similar patterns, but I have nothing interesting to add regarding that sadly. *While it's true that many intros included: "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The SHADOW knows!" for which it is justly famous, my favorite line is the more commonly uttered, "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit; crime does NOT pay!"