Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

True vacuums with no energy at all inside

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    What would be the result if you could create an area of true vacuum, in which there is no vacuum energy or virtual particles? It would be completely empty, perfect nothingness. How would light and matter behave if introduced into that area? Any difference?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    <ot>I've read somewhere that according to some odd theory vacuum is made up my an onholding conversion ... -> energy -> positron + electron -> energy -> ... Therefore event the absolute Vacuum isn't empty. I'd greaty appreciate if anyone knows where that E -> e+ + e- stuff comes from.</ot>

As regards your question: Light would just behave the way you'd expect it to behave? Why should light in "the perfect vacuum" behave other than light in space?
  4. Mar 4, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Quantum fluctuation IS a property of "true vacuum". What you have introduced here is something that we don't have physically and more based on the pedestrian usage of the word "vacuum". So this is like saying "what if, in a tennis match, I hit a volleyball with my hands, and remove the net?". It is no longer a "tennis" game.

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    Thanks for mentioning the term.

Edit: That really assist me in understanding some things. Nice...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?