True vacuums with no energy at all inside

• Thread starter Meatbot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of creating a true vacuum with no vacuum energy or virtual particles, resulting in complete emptiness. The behavior of light and matter in this area is questioned, with the idea that they would behave as expected. The concept of quantum fluctuation in relation to "true vacuum" is also mentioned, with the explanation that it is not a physical concept and is more akin to a "pedestrian" use of the term "vacuum".
Meatbot
What would be the result if you could create an area of true vacuum, in which there is no vacuum energy or virtual particles? It would be completely empty, perfect nothingness. How would light and matter behave if introduced into that area? Any difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
<ot>I've read somewhere that according to some odd theory vacuum is made up my an onholding conversion ... -> energy -> positron + electron -> energy -> ... Therefore event the absolute Vacuum isn't empty. I'd greaty appreciate if anyone knows where that E -> e+ + e- stuff comes from.</ot>

As regards your question: Light would just behave the way you'd expect it to behave? Why should light in "the perfect vacuum" behave other than light in space?

Meatbot said:
What would be the result if you could create an area of true vacuum, in which there is no vacuum energy or virtual particles? It would be completely empty, perfect nothingness. How would light and matter behave if introduced into that area? Any difference?

Quantum fluctuation IS a property of "true vacuum". What you have introduced here is something that we don't have physically and more based on the pedestrian usage of the word "vacuum". So this is like saying "what if, in a tennis match, I hit a volleyball with my hands, and remove the net?". It is no longer a "tennis" game.

Zz.

Thanks for mentioning the term.

Edit: That really assist me in understanding some things. Nice...

Related to True vacuums with no energy at all inside

1. What is a true vacuum with no energy inside?

A true vacuum with no energy inside is a theoretical concept in physics where there is no matter or energy present in a specific region of space. It is often described as a state of absolute nothingness.

2. Is a true vacuum with no energy possible?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that a true vacuum with no energy can exist in our universe. It is a theoretical concept that has not been proven or observed.

3. How is a true vacuum different from a regular vacuum?

A regular vacuum, such as the vacuum of outer space, still contains some energy and particles, although it may be very low. A true vacuum, on the other hand, is a complete absence of energy and matter.

4. What are the implications of a true vacuum with no energy?

If a true vacuum with no energy were to exist, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of our universe. It could potentially lead to a better understanding of concepts such as dark matter and dark energy.

5. How is the concept of a true vacuum used in scientific research?

The concept of a true vacuum is often used in theoretical physics and cosmology to explore the fundamental nature of our universe and to develop new theories and models. It is also used in quantum field theory and particle physics to explain the properties of particles and their interactions.