Two identical spiral galaxies with opposite momenta merge

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Galaxies Spiral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
ritwik06
Messages
577
Reaction score
0
Two identcal spiral galaxies A and B with equal but opposite momenta a and b are merged to form a resultant galaxy C with a net linear momentum c. Which is true?
a) c>b
b) 0<c<b
c)c= abs(b)+abs(a)
d) c=0
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
SpaceTiger said:
As usual, you need to show work.

Well, this question came in my olympiad. If I had got it, i wouldn't have come here. I am a student of 9th. So please at least tell which subject should I refer to.

I think the resultant will be zero becoz there is equal and opposite momenta.