Two integers sum to 20, five times the smaller is two more than twice the larger

  • Thread starter Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integers Stuck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
kuahji
Messages
390
Reaction score
2
The sum of two intergers is twenty. Five times the smaller interger is two more than twice the larger integer. Find the integers.

I'm somehow lost on the problem

I tried setting the problem up to solve for the smaller varrible. Making it x & the larger 20-x. Anyway, I came up with 5x + 2 = 40 - 2x, then 7x = 38... Somewhere I really got screwed up. I know the answers are 6 & 14 but I can't seem to figure out how to setup the problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It says "Five times the smaller integer is two more than twice the larger integer"

You wrote that as 5x+2=2(20-x), which is saying "five times the smaller integer plus two is equal to twice the larger integer"

Do you see where you made your mistake now?
 
Last edited:
Note that if x= 8 y= 6, then x is "two more than" y but x+ 2= 10, not 6. You are "going the wrong way". Instead of 5x+ 2, what should you have?
 
Yes, I got it now. It was late & I miss read the problem. It was 5x = 40-2x+2 which gave me 7x = 42 & the two integers are 6 & 14. Thanks. :approve: