Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two tanks connected by a horizontal pipe

1. Jul 26, 2007 #1
    from Applied Mathematics and Modeling for Chemical Engneers (Richard G. Rice)

Two vertical cylindrial tanks, each 10 m high,are installed side-by-side in a tank farm, their bottoms at the same level.The tanks are connected at their bottoms by a horizontal pipe 2 meters long,with pipe inside diameter 0.03 m. The first tank (1) is full of oil and the second tank (2) is empty.Moreover,tank 1 has a cross-sectional area twice that of tank 2.The first tank also has another outlet(to atmosphere) at the bottom, composed of a short horizontal pipe 2 m long, 0.03 m diameter.Both of the valves for the horizontal pipes are opened simultaneously.What is the maximum oil level in tank 2 ? Assume laminar flow in the horizontal pipes, and neglect kinetic, entrance-exit losses.

please show me solving.
    PS. why i can not post new topic in Engineer Forum
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

I believe that this problem is being worked in this other thread that you posted in. Do not post a question a second time if it is being worked, especially a problem that is in the Homework Help forums.

I'm locking this thread for now. Please continue the discussion in the other original thread in Homework Help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?