Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty theory doesn't disprove fate?

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    From my understanding, uncertainty theory only says that we would be unable to measure the position and momentum of a particle with enough precision to predict its future. But this doesn't mean that the future isn't predetermined and that all particles don't act in a domino-like manner.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, no. It is not just a matter of measurement, the particle doesn't even have a fixed position or momemtum.
  4. Dec 11, 2005 #3
    ok, so I guess I need to further my understanding of the theory. Thanks
  5. Dec 11, 2005 #4
    You might want to look into the "hidden variables" theory, I think that gets down to the heart of what you're asking about. There have been multiple versions of this same idea proposed over the years since QM was first concieved, and they've all been disproven to my knowledge.
  6. Dec 11, 2005 #5
    Don't think of Heisenbergs uncertainty in terms of a mearsurement disturbance. Position and momentum are simply not more accurate defined in nature than in Heisenberg's uncertainty allows. It's built into nature.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?