Understanding Local Standard of Rest for Astronomy Exam

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mikerodeman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Local Rest Standard
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
mikerodeman
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Okay, so I have an astronomy/astrophysics exam tomorrow and I understand everything except for the local standard of rest. Could someone please explain it to me? Thanks!
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
phinds said:
Google is your friend

Don't come here with that crap. I'VE ALREADY USED GOOGLE. I also looked in my textbook and asked my professor about it and I'm still not understanding it, so I came here to ask people who know what they're talking about to see if they can help me.
 
mikerodeman said:
Don't come here with that crap. I'VE ALREADY USED GOOGLE. I also looked in my textbook and asked my professor about it and I'm still not understanding it, so I came here to ask people who know what they're talking about to see if they can help me.

You obviously didn't because if you had you would have found the wikipedia article which gives a clear and unambiguous explanation.
 
Dr_Morbius said:
You obviously didn't because if you had you would have found the wikipedia article which gives a clear and unambiguous explanation.

Wikipedia was one of the first places I looked, and I didn't understand it.
 
mikerodeman said:
Wikipedia was one of the first places I looked, and I didn't understand it.

What exactly didn't you understand? We can't help you if we don't know what you're confused on.
 
Drakkith said:
What exactly didn't you understand? We can't help you if we don't know what you're confused on.

I understand it now, I was just browsing my posts and decided to reply. Thank you so much for the offer though! :)